Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English translation of "an sich" and "für si
An easy question, but my Dutch-English dictionary does not help me: how can I best translate the German expressions "an sich" and "für sich"?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I'd suggest "actually" but dependes on the sentence and context. most of the time it's better to avoid literal translation imho.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Quote:dependes on the sentence and context.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that:

Heinrich Schliemann wanted to solve "historical questions" and was not really interested in the material culture of a civilization an sich.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Heinrich Schliemann wanted to solve "historical questions" and was not really interested in the material culture of a civilization an sich.

Could be:

as such

or even, to use the Latin, which gets used in English:

per se

Either of those seem to fit the context.
Quote:
L C Cinna:2gkd9a72 Wrote:dependes on the sentence and context.

Heinrich Schliemann wanted to solve "historical questions" and was not really interested in the material culture of a civilization an sich.

hm, why use it at all? "an sich / für sich" is mostly used to reiterate a fact that is (or should be Wink ) already clear from the same sentence.

... but to convey the stylistic meaning I'd think this would do the job.

Heinrich Schliemann wanted to solve "historical questions" and was not really interested in the material culture of a specific civilization.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
wow, Viventius.

you beat me by a second. :lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:hm, why use it at all? "an sich / für sich" is mostly used to reiterate a fact that is (or should be Wink ) already clear from the same sentence.

... but to convey the stylistic meaning I'd think this would do the job.

Heinrich Schliemann wanted to solve "historical questions" and was not really interested in the material culture of a specific civilization.
I have a feeling that this is something else; Schliemann was interested in history, generally, and not in the material culture, generally. "Of a specific civilization" is -I think- something else.

I think I'll settle for "as such"; there is a difference between
- being interested in the material culture of a civilization
and
- interested in the material culture of a civilization as such

because in the second example, it is clearer that S. was not interested in the material culture of no matter what civilization.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quite right, Jona, there is a clear difference......Viventius has 'hit the nail on the head' ! Smile D

....if you wanted an alternative you could also say ' for it's own sake', but 'as such' or 'per se' would be best,,,,
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:'for it's own sake'
That's the one! Thanks.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
L C Cinna:1fjqn2us Wrote:dependes on the sentence and context.

ah ok, well the others have solved it already. I first thought you meant the whole phrase "an und für sich".
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spanish to English translation philsidnell 0 678 09-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Last Post: philsidnell
  English-German translation request Eleatic Guest 13 3,717 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  English translation of "adlectio"? Jona Lendering 17 4,617 01-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Last Post: egfroth