Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research on shield cover
I do not recall ever seeing the leather domed area that houses the umbo dome split and sewn with a line that way. From the fragments I have seen, it appears that the domed leather part was made in one piece. Are there any pictures to suggest otherwise?

Tim,

How do you extrapolate that the rectangular shields from a stela are not the same size or whatever relative to the Dura scutum. How about the copper alloy edges that go on shields? The are not oval in shape at all suggesting that there were rectangular shields in the 1st C AD.

I agree with you however that we do dismiss other shapes and versions quite easily. It would be nice to have other shapes around since it would be reality.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:I agree with you however that we do dismiss other shapes and versions quite easily. It would be nice to have other shapes around since it would be reality.

And ever since this has been published:
link from old RAT
[url:3jmxzpmh]http://www.vml.de/e/detail.php?ISBN=978-3-89646-138-4[/url]
There isnt realy any excuse not to diversify a little.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Tim wrote:
Quote:Even those stelae and covers that do represent true rectangular shields seldom demonstrate anything approaching the dimensions of the Dura shield.

Doc wrote:
Quote:How do you extrapolate that the rectangular shields from a stela are not the same size or whatever relative to the Dura scutum. How about the copper alloy edges that go on shields? The are not oval in shape at all suggesting that there were rectangular shields in the 1st C AD.

Most grave stele space is devoted to the figure itself (the most important feature!) The shields and weaponry/standards etc. are a secondary consideration. However when observing monuments such as the Columns in Rome, or the Adamklissi Metopes, the items are rendered much better in terms of proportion. Shields look the proper size.

Metal shield edging is generally quite fragmentary, and yes, you do see long straight portions, but these could just as easily be from a straight-sided oval shield. Only the right angled corner sections of edging definately say to me that a shield was rectangular or not. We do see curved sections of edging too Doc.

Quote:The are not oval in shape at all suggesting that there were rectangular shields in the 1st C AD.
We KNOW rectangular shields were used in the first Century as we have them shown on both legionary and auxiliary grave stones. I think what Tim is suggesting is that the oval or straight-sided oval was just as much used in this period. The evidence of shield covers and the Masada shield fragments might suggest as much.

I know some that say the curved-sided scutum is typically of the late Republican/Augustan period as it follows the pattern of the oval Republican period shield with the top and bottom removed, - but, we also see exactly this type of shield on the Adanklissi Metopes 100 years on. There were no doubt many variations of shield shape and dimension all in use at the same time.

There may have been different units within a legion or cohort that had different functions which was reflected in the shape of the shield they carried(?) Heavy armoured soldiers with full curved rectangular shields, as well as a lighter armoured soldier with a lighter curved oval shield.

From ARMA Vol. 2 No.1 1990.... :lol:
[Image: scutumsize.jpg]
Peroni,

I understood quite well what Tim said. I also know about the straight edge pieces and curved pieces. And yes I know that there are bent metal edges that suggest a rectangular shield (Roma Victrix website)

I do agree that the main feature on a stela is the person not the equipment necessarily. This is what I was pointing out about real dimension vs. stela dimensions based on what Tim said.

If you read my post, I said that I agreed with Tim that other shapes should be used because they do appear all over.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:I do not recall ever seeing the leather domed area that houses the umbo dome split and sewn with a line that way. From the fragments I have seen, it appears that the domed leather part was made in one piece. Are there any pictures to suggest otherwise?

I found a drawing at the weekend of a fragment of leather shield cover from Valkenberg which is like a circle with a portion removed (like a slice of a cake) and both sides of where the missing part was has stitching holes. It looks exactly like it was at one time stitched together to make a cone shape for the umbo. Big Grin

Of course, the best example of an central umbo cover is the inact single piece from Vindonissa. So it does look like both methods were used.
Peroni,

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to have a reference for that drawing or the drawing itself?

Paolo
I found the drawing in
Ansgar Nabbfeld – “Romische Schilde” – Studien Funden und bildlichen Überlieferungen vom Ende der Republik bis in die spate Kaiserzeit. (KSARP 10 VML GmbH 2008)

I'll try and scan the drawing and post it here Doc.
Thanks for the information. Look foward to the drawing.

Paolo
Another here:

http://dare.ubn.kun.nl/bitstream/2066/2 ... 538___.PDF

Fragments of a shield cover from Woerden, Nl.

I think this is the latest example I have seen (prob third C AD) excepting the Dura cover, which may be a map in any case!
Tim Edwards
Leg II Avg (UK)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiiavg.org.uk">http://www.legiiavg.org.uk
<a class="postlink" href="http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com">http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dura-Europos shield cover Dan Diffendale 19 8,872 06-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Use of Strings of Leather Shield Cover Scola 6 1,709 07-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Scola
  Shield cover depicted on monument?? Peroni 30 5,738 06-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Crispvs