Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Scabbard Connection to Balteus
There are no depictions (that I know of) of a gladius suspended from pugio frogs. There are several depictions of a belt with frogs for the pugio but very clearly NONE for the gladius. The darn scabbard is just hanging there across the belt with no visible means of support. Consistently. I don't think using pugio frogs with a gladius is correct.

Making the loops or X-pattern with a thong or strap using the 4 rings is the easiest method, and has the benefit of being very quick and very easily modified if necessary. It can be loose enough to remove the belt very quickly if you like. On mine, I just fastened the strap ends with a piece of thong.

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/scloop.jpg

I'm still a little dubious of putting a buckle on that strap, though. That piece really looked like a stray hinged buckle from a lorica, to me! Similarly, a stray cloak fastener was also found with the sword and belt parts, and was interpreted as having been used to fasten the belt. I'm skeptical about that, too, though if enough leather remains were found to confirm that I'd be perfectly happy. The article did NOT indicate that there were significant leather remains, as I recall.

Of course, knowing how the Romans thought, the "quick and easy" solution is probably wrong! They DID like their hinges, after all....

Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks for the input Gents! I cannot help thinking that we are missing something here. The gladius scabbards are works of art, and important financially and practically to a soldier. Attaching the thing to a belt with a few bits of leather just seems a little bit "slap dash". Leather stretches over time, the thong comes untied, and in the middle of some action your scabbard drops off!

Whilst the pugio frog approach obviously functions, I do share Matt's concern that this simply is not depicted on any available evidence (unless someone can tell us otherwise?).

History's Mysteries indeed Big Grin
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I just saw pic of a scabbard with what looked like a belt attachment on it, which looked alot like the sword on display in York museum, which reminded me a bit of a gladius hispanensis.
I did not get a pic of the back, as the chamber was in the midst of an invasion of little people! Would be interested to know more about it though, as it was attested as early 1st cent roman, I believe!
Will post a pic if anyone thinks it is of interest!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Paul wrote...
Quote:How does that work for you Adrian? I have thought about doing that myself.

It works really well Paul. Just remember to make the front strap longer than the rear to give the sword a forward 'lean'. Otherwise it will sit too vertically.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,760 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,116 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,090 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70