"Now that was increadibly easy Gandalf"
"Can you imagine if we would have walked all this way"

Laughter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnUvw1rzziE

Brilliant. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I say we're in range now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzoeEdW-EDQ&feature=user

To funny! I love those shorts!
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix! 
Just great. Brilliant. :lol: :lol:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
I've heard that joke. The giant-eagle approach has a few flaws unfortunately.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
This just in from Hollywood...

[size=150:46htrhyn]Jackson and studios agree to make Hobbit films [/size]2 hours, 27 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - After months of bitter legal wrangling, Peter Jackson, New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc have agreed to make two movies based on the book "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

In a statement Tuesday, the companies said Jackson, the director of the smash hit "Lord of the Rings" movies, and producer Fran Walsh will executive produce both a "Hobbit" movie and a sequel, but Jackson was not named as the director.

"We don't have a director yet," said a New Line spokeswoman.

The movies will be made simultaneously starting in 2009, and a tentative release date has been set for 2010 for the first film and 2011 for the second.

MGM and New Line, a unit of Time Warner Inc, will co-finance the films, with New Line distributing them in the United States and MGM internationally.

MGM is a closely held company owned by several private equity firms and media divisions of Sony Corp and Comcast Corp.

Science fiction fantasy "The Hobbit" tells of a world inhabited by wizards, dwarfs, elves and little people called hobbits, who include the central character, Bilbo Baggins.

"The Hobbit" preceded Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" books, which were made into smash hit movies by New Line, starting with 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."

Combined with two sequels -- "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" -- the three took in roughly $3 billion at global box offices.

The final movie, "Return of the King," won Oscars for best movie and best director for Jackson. But the director later sued New Line, claiming the studio had improperly accounted for the movie's profits and owed Jackson money.

That suit has now been settled, allowing movies based on "The Hobbit" to go into development, with Jackson attached and with MGM, which owned film rights to "The Hobbit," as part of the team.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement.

Sounds like good news for those who like Jackson's take on these stories Smile

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
You're right Sean I think its a good joke and understandable for the many people with ADD who are unhappy about having to sit still and not talk on a cell phone for a whole 3 hours. My God! We aren't Jesus here. :wink: Damn Peter Jackson and his inability to cut a movie down to catch phrases and pointless action sequences.

I don't think the giant eagle approach would have worked. First of all they would have to go through the heart of enemy territory with tens of thousands of enemies, the full resources of a wizard equal to or superior to Gandalf (at the time) and a freaking demon lord, and the fact that the ringwraiths had dragon mounts (long day I forget the name) that would have matched the giant eagles just by themselves. Its not the best plan and wouldn't have used the resources of the party either. Heck, if the whole thing was that easy Gandalf would have done it himself.
Derek D. Estabrook
Quote:Sounds like good news for those who like Jackson's take on these stories Smile

Well! That's good news indeed! Now I hope they get some of the old team back together again to make a decent movie. Of the actors you need only Ian McKellen (Gandalf), but we've seen from Harry Potter that prominent greybeards can be replaced quite easily.

Two movies! Confusedhock: Now THAT is a surprise. I mean, how many of you have managed to read the three books of LOTR and noticed the VAST number of pages that were cut from the script? Confusedhock:

And they're making TWO movies from the little Hobbit book? LOTR could have been an epic of NINE movies like that! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Well! That's good news indeed! Now I hope they get some of the old team back together again to make a decent movie. Of the actors you need only Ian McKellen (Gandalf), but we've seen from Harry Potter that prominent greybeards can be replaced quite easily.

Two movies! Confusedhock: Now THAT is a surprise. I mean, how many of you have managed to read the three books of LOTR and noticed the VAST number of pages that were cut from the script? Confusedhock:

And they're making TWO movies from the little Hobbit book? LOTR could have been an epic of NINE movies like that! Big Grin
Heh. Wait till he announces he's producing a 16-movie edition of the Silmarilion and Unfiinished Tales!

The Hobbit split into two parts is a strange idea, but maybe he'll pull it off. Peter Jackson does like fiddling with Tolkein's plots ...
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:And they're making TWO movies from the little Hobbit book?
I think the first one is to be The Hobbit proper, the second to fill the gap between the end of The Hobbit and the beginning of LoTR.

Maybe after this Jackson will attempt Roverandom, or maybe "Beowulf: the Monsters and the Critics"... :roll:
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote: Heh. Wait till he announces he's producing a 16-movie edition of the Silmarilion and Unfiinished Tales!

The Hobbit split into two parts is a strange idea, but maybe he'll pull it off. Peter Jackson does like fiddling with Tolkein's plots ...

YEAH! Amen to that! :twisted:
Peter Plot-fiddler we'll call him... :evil:

Quote:I think the first one is to be The Hobbit proper, the second to fill the gap between the end of The Hobbit and the beginning of LoTR.

Make up an entire book? Well, they sure would not have to buy the rights for that one, because I think Tolkien never wrote about that 'gap'.... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Make up an entire book? Well, they sure would not have to buy the rights for that one, because I think Tolkien never wrote about that 'gap'.... :wink:

Sure he did - in the Appendices. Apparently the other movie is going to be about the earlier life of Aragorn and Arwen.

Which means lots of screen time for Liv Tyler. :lol:

PS Happy Saturnalia and Yule to all.
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:2pqgw39y Wrote:Make up an entire book? Well, they sure would not have to buy the rights for that one, because I think Tolkien never wrote about that 'gap'.... :wink:
Sure he did - in the Appendices. Apparently the other movie is going to be about the earlier life of Aragorn and Arwen.

Well, there is a 'gap' of about 80 years or so (can't remember how old Bilbo was when he went on his adventure) between The Hobbit and the start of LOTR. But given the respectable age of Numenorians and Elves, I would hardly count that as 'the earlier live' of Aragorn and Arwen. Besides, the Appendices - would that be enough for a movie?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
It would be enough if you put in another three hours long battle scene :twisted:
Pavel Nikolajev / VANDALICVS
DECIMA GEMINA

DUM SPIRO SPERO

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LORD OF THE RINGS Online, Anyone? Senovara 18 4,611 03-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Senovara
  Lord of the Rings ... Bloopers! Senovara 8 2,871 02-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Senovara