Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Romans wear Corinthian style helmets too?
Ave,

This particular fresco, from the ruins of Pompeii (circa during or pre the reign of Nero), has always looked to me like a Corinthian style helmet tilted up… so it rested on the soldiers head…. thus exposing his face. There are a few examples of this style helmet in various frescos from Pompeii, this is the most clear.

[Image: fresco.gif]

Until now I really haven’t seen any other evidence of this but, here’s an ancient sculpture which appears to show what the fresco is showing…. a Corinthian style helmet tilted up. Unfortunately, djelloulmarbrook does not note if this is a Roman or Greek statue but, it is worn in the same style as the Pompeii fresco above. The statue, I believe, is in the city of Piraeus, which is in Greece.

[Image: Piraeus.jpg]

Also, this image of Emperor Emperor Antoninus Pius’ statue show a Corinthian style helmet.

[Image: antpiusa.jpg]

Does anyone else have any evidence of Roman’s with Corinthian style helmets?

I would also presume that the fresco ‘could’ be showing a scene of a Greek Warrior returning from battle.
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Early roman hoplites could have worn a Corinthian helmet I think, but I don't know much about this period.

Some of the helmets you posted could be Appulo-Corinthian helmets instead of Corinthians I think.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Ave,

Quote:The the helmets you posted could be Appulo-Corinthian helmets instead of Corinthians I think.

Could you elaborate on the “Appulo-Corinthianâ€
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Look here:
www.freewebtown.com/italica/italic_military/general_italic/armor/helmets/apulocor.html
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Ave,

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... it's Apulo-Corinthian with one "P" not two, that's why when I googled it, I didn't find any results! :roll:

Okay... so the helmet is not actually tilted up but instead worn like a small cap, it never actually tilts down at all... is that correct?

BTW: this could be a fun project for Recreation!
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Yes, exactly!

The one with the crest in your first post I believe is supposed to be Athena!

Also, to me in the painting, I can see a cheek piece, but it could be my eyes!

The chap with the beard looks like a copy of Pericles! Not the nude guy, I believe he is a Roman!

ARMAE offer a version of this helmet on their site!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:ARMAE offers a version of this helmet on their site!

Naaaaaaaaaaa, far too much more fun trying to make it!!! :wink:

So I would also presume that the statue of Emperor Emperor Antoninus Pius is showing this older, Roman Republic style helmet too?
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Quote:Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... it's Apulo-Corinthian with one "P" not two, that's why when I googled it, I didn't find any results! Rolling Eyes

I bow my head in shame... Sorry for the trouble I caused you by misspelling it Anthony... :oops: :oops:

I have this helmet made by a french armourer and bought from Armae:

[Image: 111PDHL107B.jpg]

[Image: 111PDHL107G.jpg]

The helmet is worn on your head indeed. I love this helmettype Smile

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:
Quote:ARMAE offer a version of this helmet on their site!

Naaaaaaaaaaa, far too much more fun trying to make it!!! :wink:

So I would also presume that the statue of Emperor Emperor Antoninus Pius is showing this older, Roman Republic style helmet too?

Acytually, to me it looks like a corinthian, but I am probably wrong. Unless it was done for artistic sake. They did like to affect a Hellenistic look!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I bow my head in shame... Sorry for the trouble I caused you by misspelling it Anthony

Rise Marcus, rise... Apology accepted… may I offer you a half talent of gold in good faith, so as to ease any tension between our two houses?
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Quote:
Quote:I bow my head in shame... Sorry for the trouble I caused you by misspelling it Anthony

Rise Marcus, rise... Apology accepted… may I offer you a half talent of gold in good faith, so as to ease any tension between our two houses?

Mmm I smell a bussiness opportunity. It appears that I can make good money by misspelling things Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
There are different versions.

The picture of Athena and the strategos you posted are Corinthians. They are depicted like this in sculpture because otherwise you wouldn'T see the face, obviously. The helmet on the statue of the emperor is a Corinthian as well, but that doesn't mean that it was still in use, it's a style feature.

The one on the 1st pic is probably Apulo-Corinthian as mentioned before. This type was mainly used and developed in Italy. The Corinthian features are a decoration, like the eyebrows on the gallic helmets. There are several finds of this helmet in Italy, so the Romans probably used it as well. Usually dates to the 5th,4th and early 3rd century BCE if memory serves me right.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
A couple of brief points :-
The Pompeii fresco shows a popular subject,' Mars and Venus' hence the depiction on the God of what was ( by the !st century B.C. ) an 'antique helmet'
For the earlier use of the 'debased corinthian/Etrusco-Corinthian/Apulo- Corinthian' ( it has many names) in the Roman republic, see Connolly "Roman Army", "Greece and Rome at War" or Warry "Warfare in the Classical World"
For Roman use see e.g. Altar of Domitius Ahenobarbus
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
There are perpetual problems with using sculpture as a reliable source for military hardware. It's a question of interpretation. The sculptor may never have seen one of these things, for one thing. For another, he may have a different 'agenda'. It's not a problem confined to the ancient world either; there is a statue of one of the Stuart kings (Charles or James 1st, can't remember which) outside the National Gallery in London wearing a muscle cuirass. It's so small that if it were possible to get the man inside it, he would never be able to breathe!

If you look at Trajan's column, the first thing that strikes you is that the Roman helmets are (a) way too small and (b) many of them have a ring on top! The second thing is that the shields are far too small (they barely reach the knees, let alone the mid-calf). The sculptor is trying to show the man behind the equipment - and it's a popular idea that the actual equipment is being used as a shorthand way of identifying particular groups of people or individuals - so lorica segmentata tells us (and the Romans it was made for) that "these are the citizen soldiers". To my knowledge, no example of a Roman helmet has been recovered where there is a ring on top! So, where did that one come from?

In many cases, sculptural representations of helmets, even Corinthian ones, are too small. If the helmet was meant to be pulled down over the face (as Greek red/black vase art certainly suggests), then the example shown above (Athena) is far too small for the purpose. I printed it out and used a ruler to measure it - the poor woman would have had her nose squashed all over her face!! The shape of the Apulo-Corinthian type, however, suggests that it was not meant to be worn in this way, but rather as a cap on top of the head.

I have information on dozens of Apulo-Corinthian helmets, as well as the Corinthian type and the former have a distinctly different profile, being much wider in relation to their height, clearly pointing to a different mode of wear.

Caratacus
(Mike Thomas)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:then the example shown above (Athena) is far too small for the purpose.
Mike, did you take into account her hair would add to the depth of her head? I only ask because I bought a super-cheap corinthian and thought the same. It seemed so small I didn't even bother trying it on for a couple of days. But when I did I was flabbergasted when it slid on with ease (the trick is to pivot-slide it on from the back of the skull) and fits absolutely perfectly. In fact, I'd say it's the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn, with padding on top of my head and an arming cap. It needs to be 'apparently' small, otherwise you have no peripheral vision, the eye holes being too far away from your eyes otherwise. As it is, my peripheral vision is excellent, the helmet is secure, and it can also be balanced on top of my head as seen on the statue of Athena.

Honestly, I thought "No way I'm cracking my skull putting that thing on." when I first opened the box.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where the belief came from, that Apulo-Corinthian helmets had cheek pieces? Corvus 0 260 01-08-2022, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Did Romans wear Chitons in the Eastern provinces ? Theodosius the Great 17 5,586 05-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great