Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Roman Fort - Animation
Quote:By which did you mean Cinema 4D?

[url:1szfirea]http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/cinema4d/cinema4d_e.html[/url]
i think that is what he means
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Quote:By which did you mean Cinema 4D?

[url:2tte76gt]http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/cinema4d/cinema4d_e.html[/url]

Yes that's exactly it. 3d Studio Max is a fantastic product if you have the money for it.
- Steve
[url:a8jteds6]http://www.ancientvine.com[/url]
Quote:
richsc:1d8bksl2 Wrote:By which did you mean Cinema 4D?

[url:1d8bksl2]http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/cinema4d/cinema4d_e.html[/url]

Yes that's exactly it. 3d Studio Max is a fantastic product if you have the money for it.
use torrents ..... but make sure u search the for viruses and spyware first :twisted:
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Quote:
Decimus_Vitus:k6arxt9n Wrote:
richsc:k6arxt9n Wrote:By which did you mean Cinema 4D?

[url:k6arxt9n]http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/cinema4d/cinema4d_e.html[/url]

use torrents ..... but make sure u search the for viruses and spyware first :twisted:

Ahh well if you are advocating pirated software I'll have no part in that. I bought and paid valid license(s) in all my software.
- Steve
[url:a8jteds6]http://www.ancientvine.com[/url]
how much is poser?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Great job! Big Grin

The quality is really up there man. It reminds me alot of the original EverQuest cutscene for some reason.
-Ryan Thomas
I enjoyed your animation, Steve. (I only just noticed this thread.) I wanted a lively vicus like yours for the cover of my Roman Auxiliary Forts book, but the artist (the excellent Brian Delf) didn't have time.

Quote:... a Roman Dam that would have stood just upstream ... at Bywell some five miles east of Corbridge where the Roman Dere crossed the river Tyne.
I believe the Bywell dam has been effectively disproved for lack of evidence. The so-called "bypass canal" is a natural feature of river flooding; the suggested Roman bridge consists of the twin masonry piers of a (probably wooden) medieval bridge; and the dam itself appears to be a fish weir purpose-built in the Middle Ages. No Roman remains were found at Bywell, and the well-known Roman blocks re-used in the church probably came from the Roman bridge at Corbridge nearby.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Duncan. When was the last time you stood on the Roman Dam at Bywell and just what exactly is the lack of evidence you refer to for it not being a dam, then as far as no Roman remains being found at Bywell would show that you are not familiar with the excavations carried out by the late Archaeologist Raymond Selkirk.

Indeed when I look at where you keep putting in the word probably it appears to me you have been reading to much Bidwell and Holbrook.
Brian Stobbs
Excellent work! would be nice to see more vids in the futureWink
Arbeia the Great
Michael Davidson

Hic nemo est quin Romam amet
Quote:When was the last time you stood on the Roman Dam at Bywell and just what exactly is the lack of evidence you refer to for it not being a dam, then as far as no Roman remains being found at Bywell would show that you are not familiar with the excavations carried out by the late Archaeologist Raymond Selkirk.
To be honest, Brian, I wasn't aware that Raymond Selkirk had excavated there. Perhaps his work was published in a difficult-to-obtain journal? (I once tried to get an article of his from a CBA newsletter, only to be told that it would cost £16 + postage! I think CBA were trying to discourage any interest.)

There is certainly a dam at Bywell, Brian. But I'm not sure how -- in the absence of diagnostic ceramic/numismatic finds -- you would distinguish a Roman dam from a medieval one. It doesn't appear to be particularly Roman (it doesn't show the weathering that, for example, the Chesters bridge abutments show). A good case can be made for the medieval community using a dam here -- it appears on early maps as a "salmon lock" --, but there is no good reason to suggest that it is Roman.

I can't remember what Bidwell & Holbrook say (it's a looong time since I read that book), but Binnie (Early Dam Building in Britain, 1987) considered Bywell to be a 14thC fish-weir (based on a study of original medieval documents relating to fishing in the area).

Roman ruins in the immediate vicinity would certainly add weight to the Roman argument. Did Raymond Selkirk actually find some?
Duncan. I now can't remember the exact dates but Raymond Selkirk did indeed do excavations at Bywell where Roman coins were found on the north bank of the river above the bridge. Then there was also his other excavations some 500 yards north of the river in the woods at Bywell where he revealed the crossroads of his "Proto Dere Street" going north and the "Stanegate Road" that travels east from Corbridge and at this point there was also a roman road leading away south to the Churches at Bywell one of which is full of roman stone work that did not as assumed come from Corbridge.

With reference to the dam it has a poundlock that allowed barges to travel up river, this lock has slots cut into it's walls for the raising and lowering of gates as also does the sluice channel next to it, there have been comments in the past about how good the "WEIR" at Bywell was for the catching of salmon but not that it was built for such it is indeed a reduction of a roman dam that becomes a weir and then of course it was removed entirerly in the 19th century however the lock on the south side of the river still remains at some 6-8ft' above river level.

The so called by-pass canal you refer to is infact a barge harbour and not only at Bywell but many other rivers in this country show these type of canals and coincidently near to roman establishments.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Raymond Selkirk did indeed do excavations at Bywell where Roman coins were found on the north bank of the river above the bridge. Then there was also his other excavations some 500 yards north of the river in the woods at Bywell where he revealed the crossroads of his "Proto Dere Street" going north and the "Stanegate Road" that travels east from Corbridge and at this point there was also a roman road leading away south to the Curches at Bywell one of which is full of roman stone work that did not as assumed come from Corbridge.
What a pity this kind of information isn't more widely available. Perhaps you have copies of the reports, Brian?

Quote:... there have been comments in the past about how good the "WEIR" at Bywell was for the catching of salmon but not that it was built for such ...
Binnie's Early Dam Building in Britain mentions a medieval document which shows that the weir did not exist yet, and another later document that mentions it. But if was Roman, I wonder why the Romans would have dammed the river here?
Duncan. The subject that sent Raymond Selkirk into his Roman Dam search was his interest in Logistics, and all over the country he began to find that the Romans used waterways for their supply routes. Indeed ask yourself just why was there a group of Tigrian bargemen at the mouth of the river Tyne and the name escapes me of yet another group of bargemen on the Solway Firth.

The Irthing river in the west and the Tyne in the east supply Hadrians' Wall with infact an interesting revelation as to why the wall leaves Segedunum at its south east corner becomes a Dam over the Tyne towards the fort of Danum near Jarrow.

That is the first dam on the Tyne then around every 5 to 6 miles we have others, then after Hexham these dams take us all the way to even Breminium on the river Rede.
Brian Stobbs
When we look at the fort of Segedunum there was the Swan Hunters Shipyard below the fort towards the river, what Raymond Selkirk did find when he explored archieves about river dredging in earlier times there were masses of stonework removed from the river in this area. This is where he tended to consider if indeed a dam had crossed the river at this point and if the dredging work had any connection with it's removal for slipways and drydocks of earlier ship building here.

What he also began to find with much of the dam evidence was that most of these structures are upsteam of the roman bridges, which shows a very good indication of water engineering at it's best where these dams take the flow pressure off the bridge piers.
Brian Stobbs
Awesome job!

Legion: TBD