Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Romans wear Corinthian style helmets too?
I appreciate what you are saying there, Jim. After all, the helmet would be a bit useless if it were not a tight fit - it would be hell to wear it, much less use it in battle. But there's a difference between 'tight fit' and 'not enough room in there'!

I measured the distance back to front of the helmet and the same for the woman's face and one is smaller than the other (i.e. Athena's skull dimension is the larger of the two). I did give some allowance for the hair 'do' of the goddess. I suppose it will depend (remembering that this is a comparatively small picture) on where exactly you make the measurements. There is some 'wiggle room' elsewhere, but not much. In this particular case, I would say that if she tried to pull the helmet down, she would at the very least loose the tip of her nose in the process!

I think the point that I am making here is that it can be dangerous to make too many assumptions from sculture and carvings. The sculptor may be trying to make a very different comment than what we think we are looking at, if you see what I mean (groan!)

I agree, btw, with the comment made by Marcus (above) on the Russian medal, they are at the very least Apulo-Corinthian types - not in the least like a Corinthian, far too wide and they don't cover the face!
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Messages In This Thread
Corinthian Helmets - by Paullus Scipio - 08-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Re: Did Romans wear Corinthian style helmets too? - by Caratacus - 08-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where the belief came from, that Apulo-Corinthian helmets had cheek pieces? Corvus 0 257 01-08-2022, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Did Romans wear Chitons in the Eastern provinces ? Theodosius the Great 17 5,580 05-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great