Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Niedermörmter type Helmet with Newstead Segmental Armour
Thanks for the additional input. I will try to give my perspective as a newcomer on the points raised.

Lucius:
I did know when I bought the cingulum that the plates were based on 1st C English finds. But I had the chance to buy it cheaply and thought these robust parts could have been passed down and lasted to mid 2nd C.
However from a more practical point of wearing this belt today these thick cast plates do make it very heavy. Here is a photo of an attractive enamelled belt plate from the Newstead finds which would certainly be my ideal choice.
In addition I had to replace the damaged apron leather on my cingulum and took the opportunity to shorten it as I understand there was a reduction in apron length in the 2nd C

[Image: newsteadbeltplate.JPG]

Crispvs:
Thanks for your insight into using the Guttman with a Newstead and the narrow time frame you think they could have been in used in combination. That was one of my main concerns to keep it 2nd C at least.
I was surprised to hear that there is a scarcity of evidence for pugio use mid 2nd C. Initially I did look through my copy of A Roman Frontier Post and its People regarding the Newstead finds and found this photo showing what I thought was a pugio blade. In the book its catalogued by Curle as a dagger or a knife.

[Image: newsteadblades.JPG]
At the time I did not consider non pugio use with armour to be an issue in a 2nd C context. However now I see from your link that there is a possibility that this Newstead blade is a knife rather than a pugio. The tang is certainly long although there appears to be a slight narrowing of the blade after the hilt. Has this blade now definitely been determined as being a knife? From the practical point of view of wearing this Newstead kit today I can see not having to wear a pugio would again be a weight saving.

Flavius:
From my limited knowledge I too have difficulty in assimilating the concept of not wearing a pugio with armour in the 2nd C. I certainly would like to hear more evidence of 2nd C pugio use if you think you know where to find it.
Fabius Liberalis
(Ian Watson)

Messages In This Thread
Re: A Niedermörmter type Helmet with Newstead Segmental Armour - by Fabius Liberalis - 08-31-2007, 08:39 AM
2nd Century impression - by scott - 09-04-2007, 04:34 PM
2nd Century impression - by scott - 09-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Re: 2nd Century impression - by Tribune Valerius - 10-03-2007, 01:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 1,006 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Where to get a gallic h/g type helmet? Virilis 5 2,474 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  What type of helmet should one use with a Newstead lorica? JVL 18 4,614 12-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar