Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Niedermörmter type Helmet with Newstead Segmental Armour
Hi Fabius,

Quote:From a practical military perspective and knowing the cold and wet conditions soldiers serving in this far northern outpost of the roman empire had to endure I still consider boot 4 in the picture to be the more robust and practical pattern for the local winter conditions. Perhaps this utilitarian pattern may therefore have survived longer in the 2nd C in northern Britain than in warmer central or southern European locations

The statement as such is certainly valid, but then we could also use it against the use of caligae at least in the second half of the first century in Britain. Also, most of the lower shoes I cited do come from Britain. Of course I can't prove that the higher shoes weren't used any more between say 150 and 200, but if we go by what finds we actually have, they had phased out by then.

Quote:Ich habe nun Projekt Generationes anschaut.
Ist die entwicklung diese projekt jetzt zu ende?

Glad to hear you like it :-) ) It is still a piece of work in progress and we are trying to add at least two 2nd century soldiers over the winter months (which is why I am researching this period at the moment as well and am also building 2nd century shoes).

Messages In This Thread
2nd Century impression - by scott - 09-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Re: A Niedermörmter type Helmet with Newstead Segmental Armour - by Martin Moser - 09-06-2007, 06:09 PM
2nd Century impression - by scott - 09-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Re: 2nd Century impression - by Tribune Valerius - 10-03-2007, 01:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 1,006 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Where to get a gallic h/g type helmet? Virilis 5 2,474 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  What type of helmet should one use with a Newstead lorica? JVL 18 4,614 12-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar