Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where\'s the seam on the tongue Pteruges? (Subarmalis)
Quote:Btw, Marcus Mummius has shown that the tongue pteruges are actually metal. In some statues at least you can see hinges above each tongue. Especially on the bronze statue of Germanicus.
Maybe there were fabric versions as well, I would think so.

~Theo

The statue of Germanicus' tongue pteruges look odd when compared to most representations but I think that's because of the repair done to the statue. I would definitely say that his are metal just by observing the way they are represented by the "stiffness" of the look. There is also a statue of Julius Caesar with a single row that appear to have a hinge above each tongue and quite a few others. I would think that in such cases where they appear to be metal, they would be hinged to a flexible leather support "belt" worn under the lorica unless the sculpture shows otherwise.

I don't know whether such an item would be attached to a subarmalis or not but from a practical standpoint, It seems to me that it would restrict your movement less and stay put better if it were a separate item.
C. Apollonius Priscus/Alan Homola

Messages In This Thread
Re: Where\'s the seam on the tongue Pteruges? (Subarmalis) - by C. Apollonius Priscus - 10-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tunic Seam Winter 4 2,122 01-31-2018, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Hocfutue
  Paenula and Seam Finishes mstraatm 2 2,035 04-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Last Post: mstraatm
  Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges Vitruvius 14 3,078 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius