Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where\'s the seam on the tongue Pteruges? (Subarmalis)
Quote:How could the two halves come apart, front and back, and the tongue Pteruges not have a seam at the side?

The 64$ question. I think I need to look under a few more statue arms if possible... The sculptor may just ignore the pteruges seam but show the lorica seam on the less detailed statues or it may just be artistic convention for the Romans not to show the seam. EDIT: Well, I found this site which I'm sure that you're aware of: http://astro.temple.edu/~tlclark/lorica/musculata2.htm and found that that the answer is not so simple. Some appear to be fastened directly to the lorica, most do not. Unfortunately, I've never paid attention to this subject and now you have me interested. Big Grin I'll have to keep puzzling over it. I would also agree with Magnus below that thick leather would make an excellent replica. One could also cast the ornaments out of resin relatively cheaply if you could find or sculpt masters.
C. Apollonius Priscus/Alan Homola

Messages In This Thread
Re: Where\'s the seam on the tongue Pteruges? (Subarmalis) - by C. Apollonius Priscus - 10-07-2007, 07:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tunic Seam Winter 4 2,122 01-31-2018, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Hocfutue
  Paenula and Seam Finishes mstraatm 2 2,035 04-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Last Post: mstraatm
  Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges Vitruvius 14 3,078 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius