Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where\'s the seam on the tongue Pteruges? (Subarmalis)
Still scratching my head on this one as there seem to be many combonations but... what makes most sense to me is…

1. The first row of Tongue Pteruges are soft leather, which are one piece, just below the lorica muscle cuirass.

2. There is often a second set of Tongue Pteruges, sometimes made of metal, with long edge to edge hinges.

3. That second belt of Tongue Pteruges is below, behind and attached to the first. When made of metal, as in some examples, they have hinges so they would bend when the wearer was sitting or riding his horse.

4. On the first belt of Tongue Pteruges , what looks like hinges, above each of the softer leather Tongue Pteruges, is the attachment point of the second belt underneath.

The example Priscus posted above and this one below seem to show two short rows of Tongue Pteruges, both most likely made of leather (no hinges only attachment points)

[Image: ostialoricatadet3a.jpg]

This example shows two rows where the second longer row appears to be made from metal, the second row has edge to edge hinges. There are attachment points on the shorter first row of what seems to be softer leather Tongue Pteruges

[Image: loricataathensdet2a.jpg]

Other times, there are appear to be combonations... here the top layer of Tongue Pteruges appears extra long and hinged.

[Image: loricatamassimodeta.jpg]

When there is only one row of shorter, most likely leather Tongue Pteruges, the attachment points are still there, most likely as decoration. Such as in this example:
[url:3pjo4jcu]http://astro.temple.edu/~tlclark/lorica/images/luciusverusloricatadet2a.jpg[/url]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Where\'s the seam on the tongue Pteruges? (Subarmalis) - by AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 10-18-2007, 05:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tunic Seam Winter 4 2,120 01-31-2018, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Hocfutue
  Paenula and Seam Finishes mstraatm 2 2,031 04-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Last Post: mstraatm
  Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges Vitruvius 14 3,078 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius