Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would the Byzantine Empire have to do to survive?
The evidence for and against Islam's influence on iconoclasm is still being debated. But it seems likely that it was very possible, if not probable, that the practices of Muslims did have an instigating effect on some Christians

Yet, I must disagree with the bit on conversion to Islam. If East Rome converted, it is more likely that it would have been swept up under the tide of expansionism. Perhaps it could have become a sort of vassal or tributary state to the Caliphate. There is obviously no way to completely prove one way or the other.

Nevertheless, Byzantium could have been saved if the following issues could have been avoided or corrected: 1) decline of monetary system and successive debasements; 2) animosity of potential allied or friendly nations (primarily Southern/Central Europeans); 3) slow population increase; 4) loss of military institutions.

There could be other topics added to this list, but I tried to make them fairly inclusive in order to cover smaller problems.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I

Messages In This Thread
Re: What would the Byzantine Empire have to do to survive? - by Ioannes_Ahenobarbus - 01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Re: - by Gluteus Maximus - 07-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Byzantine Empire Gaius Julius Caesar 20 3,902 06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Byzantine Empire: Greek Romans or Roman Greeks? Anonymous 15 6,438 07-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr