Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would the Byzantine Empire have to do to survive?
Quote:I think the Byzantine empire would have survived a great deal longer if they had just posted guards at Yarmuk during the sandstom. If they do this then Umar's army is greatly reduced allowing the Byzantines to crush Islam; which means no Manzikert and no Fourth Crusade. Of course after this they would have hand to withstand barbarian, Venitian and later Mongol invasians.
In my opinion their greatest downfall was their complacency.
Sandstorm? Isn't that a legend? Yarmuk was fought over several days, with only the last day resulting in collapse.
I can't see any possibilty of how the Romans would have been able to 'crush Islam' after winning the battle of Yarmuk. They would have retained Syria (at that moment) but they still would have lost Egypt and the other African provinces. But the Arabs were also busy crushing Persia, which the Romans would hardly have been able (or willing) to stop. My guess is that even if the Romans would have been able to hold on to all eastern territories (which I doubt they could), the Arabs would have replaced the persians as enemies. Islam would never have been 'stopped' by the Romans.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: What would the Byzantine Empire have to do to survive? - by Robert Vermaat - 06-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Re: - by Gluteus Maximus - 07-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Byzantine Empire Gaius Julius Caesar 20 3,881 06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Byzantine Empire: Greek Romans or Roman Greeks? Anonymous 15 6,416 07-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr