Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about customs of slavery and prostitution
Hi 'dalnurse',

Please write your real (first) name into your signature (profile). It's a forum rule.
[url:1ie1yk45]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature[/url]

As to your question, I doubt that a physical inability to have children was intended here, but a social one. Having been a slave, albeit for a short time, wil have affected her social status as a wife.
I know of similar problems (although from a 3rd-c. context) where female abducted Christians were liberated from their slavery in barbaricum, only to be confronted by a double problem. They had been pronounced 'dead' in a legal sense and the church had big problems accepting them back, abused as they had been by pagans.

Also, and the HBO series does not touch on this at all, is what the legal status of Vorena and her siblings would have been.
First of all, they were Roman citizens, so how could they have been available for abuse - would any Roman citizen touch them without fear of reprisal? I assumed that Roman citizens could not be sold as slaves without someone's consent?
And, if having been degraded to slave staus, how would they be rescued by their father without him having to fear a lawsuit by his children's new owners?

I'm not an expert on this, so maybe others could shed more light on the legal side of this.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Question about customs of slavery and prostitution - by dalnurse - 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Re: Question about customs of slavery and prostitution - by Robert Vermaat - 01-28-2009, 07:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scholar Wins Grant To Study Roman Funerary Customs Narukami 2 1,096 01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Roman Customs that persist in modern (Italian etc) society flavia 13 3,218 02-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Mitra
  Slavery and paid employment Anonymous 3 1,572 11-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Carlton Bach