Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Roman Soldier (Sumner new book)
First of all, I think that this is another excellent book by Mr. Sumner. However, I have one question and one comment if I may.

I agree that the evidence seems to suggest that the Sisak helmet is a centurio helmet. Has any analysis been done to show that the decoration is actually gilt?

Also one point I would like to make is that people tend to overlook the Gallic D helmet entirely. This helmet is just as if not more ornate than the Sisak helmet. Unfortunately, the D no longer exists as an entity since it was destroyed. However, if one were to read the original article by Lindenschmit, it had silver rossettes (like Sisak), all around rope edging, no front/back hooks (like Sisak) for a normal crest, the peak was inlaid, a double slot for the crest holder that seems to suggest that the design was made so that the crest does not rock side to side. There is no mention in the Lindenschmit article if any silver was on the bowl which could be expected in the way studies were conducted a century ago. There is also no mention in the article about the rossette borders. However, when I spoke to Brian Stobbs, he found out from the museum curator who analyzed the piece where it is currently held, that the small fragment of the browband with the rossettes showed that the rossettes have an astragal border which was something never mentioned by Robinson nor Lindenschmit.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Imperial Roman Soldier (Sumner new book) - by Doc - 10-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cloaks Sumner Book Doc 2 1,121 08-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Doc
  Bracae Sumner Book Doc 6 2,211 08-13-2009, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Graham Sumner