Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Roman Soldier (Sumner new book)
I have to say that having made the "Gallic D" it does make me wonder just what was the state not only of panic at the museum after the RAF dropped their bomb.
There must have been a real situation of shock and horror and total devastation with bits all over the place, but just how was the mess cleared up for I find it difficult to understand how all that we have today of that helmet is the left cheekplate and a most delicate browband with also two silver rosettes.
I speak from the point of view of having made the peak with all of it's inlay, and of course knowing just how robust a structure it was and how it went together I can't understand how that is not there today.

What realy interests me is the clear up afterwards for did much just go into bins or bags, or was material taken to other museums for safe keeping and this helmet is still around in other store rooms and no one has picked these bits up and studied them with any interest, ie the "Gallic D" could still be around and we don't know it ??
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Imperial Roman Soldier (Sumner new book) - by Doc - 10-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Re: Imperial Roman Soldier (Sumner new book) - by PhilusEstilius - 10-11-2009, 07:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cloaks Sumner Book Doc 2 1,121 08-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Doc
  Bracae Sumner Book Doc 6 2,211 08-13-2009, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Graham Sumner