Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egypt tombs suggest pyramids not built by slaves
Sean wrote:
Quote:I hate to be pedantic, but I pointed out a few days ago that Herodotus believed that the pyramids were built by corvee workers, not slaves. I think he's the source of the countless ("ten myriads") workers legend, but not the slaves.
...I'm afraid that depends on the translated version, Sean.

McCaulay's 1890 translation of 2.124 runs:-

Quote:....Cheops became king over them and brought them to every kind of evil: for he shut up all the temples, and having first kept them from sacrificing there, he then bade all the Egyptians work for him. So some were appointed to draw stones from the stone-quarries in the Arabian mountains to the Nile, and others he ordered to receive the stones after they had been carried over the river in boats, and to draw them to those which are called the Libyan mountains; and they worked by a hundred thousand men at a time, for each three months continually.Of this oppression there passed ten years while the causeway was made by which they drew the stones......

Aubrey de Selincourt ( Penguin 1954) translates this passage as:-
Quote: ...his successor Cheops ( to continue the account which the priests gave me) brought the country into all sorts of misery.He closed all the temples, then, not content with excluding his subjects from the practice of their religion, compelled them without exception to labour as slaves for his own advantage.Some were forced forced to drag blocks of stone from the quarries in the Arabian hills to the Nile, where they were ferried across and taken over by others who hauled them to the Libyan hills.The work went on in three month shifts, a hundred thousand men to a shift.It took ten years of this oppressive slave-labour to build the track....

This is the Greek:
Quote:????? ?? ????? ???????? ??????. ????????????? ??? ??? ????? ?? ??? ????? ??? ????? ??????? ??????? ???????, ???? ?? ?????????? ????? ???????? ?????? ??????????. [2] ????? ??? ?? ??????????? ?? ??? ??????????? ??? ?? ?? ?????? ????, ?? ??????? ?????? ?????? ????? ??? ??????· ??????????????? ?? ??? ??????? ???????? ???? ?????? ???????? ??????? ?????????? ??? ???? ?? ??????? ?????????? ????, ???? ????? ??????. [3] ????????? ?? ???? ???? ???????? ???????? ???? ??? ???????? ???????.????????? ?? ???? ???? ???????? ???????? ???? ??? ???????? ???????. ?????? ?? ?????????? ????????? ?? ??? ???? ???? ??? ??? ???? ???? ?? ?????? ???? ??????, ??? ??????? ????? ??? ?? ????? ??? ??????? ??? ?????????.

Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of greek than me can indicate which translation is more accurate.......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: Egypt tombs suggest pyramids not built by slaves - by Paullus Scipio - 01-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggest a name for a new magazine! Praefectusclassis 82 12,853 08-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Last Post: taira1180