Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slightly off topic, Roman Civilian, religious question
Quote:... politicians were not paid a wage from tax money. What i was wondering is what about the religious offices of Ancient Rome ...?
It is usually imagined that, under the Principate, senators did not receive a salary, but the proconsul of Asia was paid 1,000,000 sesterces for his year's service (Cassius Dio 79.22.5), and many believe that the other senatorial governors must have received a stipend, too -- but only while they were on the emperor's business. (Of course, it is well known that equestrian officers were paid a salary. That's abundantly clear from inscriptional evidence.)

On the other hand, although menial assistants entrusted with religious duties (the clerks etc.) were paid (basic) salaries, it seems that the prestigious priesthoods (sodales, arvales, etc.) were considered honorary positions. I don't know of any evidence to suggest that they received a salary. (If you find any, I'd be interested!)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Slightly off topic, Roman Civilian, religious question - by D B Campbell - 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman civilian tents Marcus Mummius 4 2,175 08-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius
  Roman religious practices and the Catholic Mass Andy De Cusati 21 5,107 08-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Who\'s Who in Roman Civilian Studies richsc 0 1,106 01-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Last Post: richsc