Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canakkale Persian armour reconstruction
There is some commentary on the akinakes in N. Sevinç et al., “A New Painted Graeco-Persian Sarcophagus from Çan,” Studia Troica 11: 395:

Quote:Another unusual feature is that he wears the akinakes attached to his belt. This is common for men marching in processions, but not for those riding horses. The sword is usually attached to a strap and worn across the chest, as is done by the other two men in this scene. Attaching the akinakes to one's belt while riding seems to have been regarded as a risky undertaking, since it could become dislodged more easily, and the Can sarcophagus features the only equestrian with belt-tied akinakes that we have been able to find. Because of the risk, the akinakes has been doubly secured to the cuirass, with red straps connected to both the lateral projection of the scabbard and the handle of the sword. The straps must have continued up to the belt, although they are preserved only as far as the upper row of pteryges.

It seems to me that the authors are a bit off in their assessment here - the akinakes is always worn this way, so it is not unusual that a cavalryman is wearing it like this. What is unusual is a depiction of a cavalryman wearing an akinakes at all, as I can't find a single example of a mounted man wearing one elsewhere in Persian art. Nonetheless, figures on foot that must have been cavalrymen are shown wearing them in the standard fashion. I'm not sure I follow why attaching the akinakes to the belt is dangerous - surely it would be more secure than if it were attached to a freely hanging scabbard.

Also, I have to say based on the photographs provided in the article that I also disagree about the strap system. The remaining paint quite clearly shows that the strap was white, and what the authors take to be two red straps are in fact the rest of the two red pteryges behind the strap (the pteryges alternate red and white on the bottom row). This would also explain why the strap system mysteriously disappears after the second row - the upper row is entirely white (at least today), and so the strap, which was entirely painted on, disappears. Moreover, it would make no sense whatsoever to have the handle of the sword attached to the belt, limiting its reach severely.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: Canakkale Persian armour reconstruction - by MeinPanzer - 12-02-2010, 06:23 AM