Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early 1st cen. AD Germanic double edged sword
Quote:Some stuff from my buddy Andreas Prill:

[Image: schwert-einschna-rekoa.jpg]

[Image: schwert-einschna-reko-b.jpg]

[Image: schwert-einschna-reko-c.jpg]

Hi Andreas. Just to clarify that: The blade of the sword in the first three pictures was made by Christian Böhling of Archeoschmiede and is modelled after the find B 408 from the cremation grave field at Puntensen (near Hamburg). Grip (lacking decorations) and scheath is made by me and everyting is part of my collection, though Andreas Prill owns a number of swords, IIRC, but not that one Wink

Length of the original B 408 sword is given with 69,0 cm and from Fotos and drawings I supposed a back diameter of 3mm, which is fair enough compared to the length. Some other single edged swords from the cremation gravefield at Harsefeld (also near Hamburg)also have 3mm diameter and are even longer. That is, obviously, measured from the deformed corroded and unrestored finds.
There were no remains of a scheath in that grave (supposely) 237. But I modelled the sheath clamps and the sword chape after Martin Jahn´s (Die Bewaffnung der Germanen, 1916) depictions. So that was a bit freestyle on my part. In fact Jahn mentioned the chape to be out of wrought iron, while I had it cast in bronze. Furthermore I havn´t seen this style of chape associated with any of the single edged swords along the lower Elbe River by now, but please correct me, if missed something.

A fleece or something similar in the sheath is a nice idea. Is there a find to orientate on?

cheers

Robert
Robert Brosch
www.chasuari.de">www.chasuari.de
Germanic warriors of 1st ct. AD

www.comitatus.eu">www.comitatus.eu
Network of germanic Reenactors of 1st ct. AD

Messages In This Thread
Re: Early 1st cen. AD Germanic double edged sword - by ghandi - 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Documentary on Early Runes and Germanic Languages Harjaz 6 1,993 04-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Redwald
  Early Alanic Sword Reproduction Alanus 6 3,817 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Early Germanic Combat Techniques Anonymous 2 1,405 01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Harjaz