Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Inscription from Aquileia
The siege of Aquileia in AD 238 is described in detail by Herodian (here) - the city defended itself for about two months against the army of Maximinus Thrax, in support of the senatorial candidates Pupienus and Balbinus. Herodian says that the defence was led by two veteran senators, Crispinus and Meniphilus, and implies that it was conducted almost entirely by the townspeople (although the Historia Augusta does mention a few soldiers being present).

The inscription below, from Aquileia and dated to the same year (dedicated to Pupienus and Balbinus, plus young Gordian Caesar) appears to name two military officers who aided the defence in some way. My inscription-reading is pretty ropey, though, and I wondered if somebody might be able to offer a more accurate translation of the last part.

AE 1934, 0230 (Aquileia)
I(ovi) O(ptimo) M(aximo) / Iunoni Minervae / Marti Protector(i) Victor(i) / pro salute et victoria / ddd(ominorum) nnn(ostrorum) / Impp(eratorum) Caesarum / [[M(arci) Clodi Pupieni et / D(ecimi) Caeli Calvini / Balbini Auggg(ustorum) et / M(arci) Antoni Gordiani / nobiliss(imi) Cae(saris) / ex voto / Fl(avius) Servilianus a mil(itiis) / et Fl(avius) Adiutor / praef(ectus) coh(ortis) I Ulpiae / Galatarum praeposit(i) / militum agentium / in protensione Aquileia(e)

Servilianus is described as 'a militiis' - does this simply mean he was an equestrian officer? Adiutor is a prefect, but it doesn't mention whether his cohort was with him or not. Does the last phrase mean something like 'commanders of the military forces in the protection of Aquileia'? Would this probably refer to the siege itself, or some more general activity?

Lastly, is it at all likely that the Flavius Salvianus named above is the same man who appears on this inscription from Mainz:

CIL 13, 06814
D(is) M(anibus) / T(iti) Fl(avi) Salviani / ex praef(ecto) explora/torum Divitiensium / militiae quartae / equiti Romano / Baebius Isidorus /(centurio) leg(ionis) amico / f(aciendum) c(uravit)

'militiae quartae' (I presume) means that he had completed the three stages of the equestrian cursus and was now on his fourth - but prefect of a numerus of exploratores seems strange for such an exalted position! This same unit are described as 'Gordiana' on another inscription, so the date might be about right.

Any help much appreciated! Confusedmile:
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
An Inscription from Aquileia - by Nathan Ross - 03-06-2012, 04:51 AM
Re: An Inscription from Aquileia - by Simplex - 03-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Re: An Inscription from Aquileia - by Nathan Ross - 03-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Re: An Inscription from Aquileia - by Simplex - 03-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Re: An Inscription from Aquileia - by Nathan Ross - 03-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Re: An Inscription from Aquileia - by Michael P. - 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Re: An Inscription from Aquileia - by Nathan Ross - 03-08-2012, 11:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet with laurel wreath from Aquileia-IT S. Marcer 1 1,539 12-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  From the museum of Aquileia TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 8 2,244 12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Aquileia tombstone aitor iriarte 16 3,870 12-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS