Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New discovery: loricas segmentatas Leon, Spain
Indeed Duncan,

While breaking down one stereotype that only Legionaries wore segmentata and Auxiliaries mail or scale, another stereotype was ignored. It was still believed back then that Auxiliary forts were only manned by Auxiliaries and Legionary Fortresses were only manned by Legionaries.

It was forgotten that the forts etc..were in the main built by the Legionaries and it is now believed that there is evidence for detachments of Legionary troops at many 'Auxiliary' forts. This would explain the finds of 'lorica segmentata' on Auxiliary sites if you believe The Lorica Segmentata was exclusively Legionary.

The grave finds are harder to explain but knowing archaeologists I am sure there are several explanations.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Re: New discovery: loricas segmentatas Leon, Spain - by Graham Sumner - 05-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Re: New discovery: loricas segmentatas Leon, Spain - by topdump - 05-15-2012, 11:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leon Lorica Segmentata - Follow Up Question Vindex 12 3,901 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Nurglitch
  NEWSTEAD VERSION LORICAS...any updates?(formerly Corbridge) PartsandTechnical.com 7 2,232 08-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Matthew Amt