Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Batavi and Traditional Japanese Swimming
I know this is different troops and a later period, but...

I remember, because of the controversy over light-armed legionary troops in the late Roman Empire [late from the western point of view], going over the references to light-armed legionary troops in Ammianus. And almost all of these references were to legionaries on shipboard, or in river crossings, or the like.

So much equipment would be too heavy to swim with, except using something to float with, or would be too water-logged to fight with on the opposite shore, or would be too damaged. I doubt the armor could be taken across, since the padding would soak up too much water. I suppose a light raft could solve that problem. I don't know about the shields, maybe some types of wood would work better, and using plain planks instead of the cross-layering?

Messages In This Thread
The Batavi and Traditional Japanese Swimming - by Marja Erwin - 12-26-2012, 09:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For the Batavi among us......Daniyal and Jurjen do it again! MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 33 7,540 05-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Last Post: sulla felix
  The Batavi have a shiny, new Draco Semisalis Abruna 4 1,702 12-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat