Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who really \"won\" the Battle of Chalons?
Quote:This can probably be solved in the same manner as the Hunnic name ending -cur. As he advanced in Rank while serving with Aetius, his name changed from Goar to Eochar when Aetius settled him in the Orleans through Tours area in 442.

Quote:angiban was Sangiban, and Sambida was the other guy.

Explained the same way as Goar - Sambida's name changed to Sangiban upon his settlement in 440 in the area of Augustonemetum, because his rank advanced.

I should probably change the name from Sambida to Sangiban.

In doing so, you would be using the nomen that historians have been familiar with for the past 2 1/2 centuries. This branch of the Alans actually settled around Orleans/Augustonementum immediately after they crossed the Rhine in the winter of 406-407. They had been attached to the Vandals, but they had been Christianized in Pannonia beginning in 380 by Bishop Amantius (Arian). Possibly, even probably, these were the Safrax Alans. They were settled in that area by the Praefect of Gaul, possibly through communications with Stilicho. Their neighbors were a portion of the Taifali, settled just south of the Loire, and the Britons already in Armorica. Personally, I think these "new" settlements of Sarmatians by the Romans may have been a method of stopping Briton's "expansion" onto the mainland.

The idea that Goar's name was changed to something new... or that Sambida's name became Sangiban... has no foundation in a priori manuscripts. It's a modern interpretation, or concept, espoused by shaky theory and linguistics. Some of these guys are whackos. Certainly, personalities may have been recorded by their titles, but their nomen was their nomen. Any attempt to equate the personage of Sambida with Sangiban fails. And it fails totally because there is NO LINKING historical record to back such a supposition. :dizzy:

That said, I want to encourage you on this project. You've got a very good perspective, and it's about 180 degrees out from the preponderance of shoddy work that I just criticized above. Confusedmile: Confusedmile:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Who really \"won\" the Battle of Chalons? - by Alanus - 05-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another thread about Chalons Flavivs Aetivs 11 2,914 05-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman Army of Aetius at Chalons Mrbsct 32 8,193 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  The Battle of Chalons - Location Flavivs Aetivs 72 13,737 02-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs