Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century
It's really interesting to note the helmets worn by them had the same shape as the traditional "noble" head shape the Alanic tribesmen had. So this was without a shadow of question something very common amongst their armor shapes.

The later the period, I'd imagine the more they'd rely on Roman weaponry and armor. Is that a correct assumption? Also, it's quite contradicting to say Alans didn't had horse archers, being that they also served the eastern roman empire as cataphracts, and the traditional cataphract didn't not only had a lance, but a bow as a side weapon.

Other interesting thing I've noticed is their falconry and their dog breeding capabilities. I assume those two animal breeding qualities were primordial for a nomad tribe who survived by hunting. The dogs being huge and ferocious, as the sources claim (Alaunt breed) could most likely be used as both a guard and hunting dog, to go with their wagons.

Thanks for insights, gentlemen. Feel free to correct me if whatever I wrote here could be regarded wrong or anything. I'm here to learn.

Messages In This Thread
Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century - by Alan - 05-17-2015, 09:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons Alanus 110 35,243 02-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Early Alanic Sword Reproduction Alanus 6 3,817 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
  Sarmatian-Alanic Horsebows of the pre-Hunnic era Alanus 13 7,322 07-28-2008, 04:54 AM