Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project- Influences of Roman military on modern day riot control
As someone who had done riot control training in the US Army, and also worked on Roman tactics, I would say that despite superficial similarities, the differences are enormous.

Firstly, most riot control is about control pretty constricted urban areas. Riot control tactics are about controlling streets, intersections, etc. Movement is channelled and constricted by urban obstacles. While street fighting was not unheard of in the ancient world, most battles took place in open spaces.

Secondly, I think the lethality of ancient battle must also make a big difference. While modern day riots sometimes result in the occasional death and frequently in serious injuries, a riot baton is not a sword. An ancient battle might leave thousands or even tens of thousands dead. As a result, I assume the calculus of participants was quite different. A protesters scuffling with police might expect to be arrested and even quite severely beaten, but would probably not expect to be killed or dismembered. Likewise, police might worry about being injured, but would not expect to see hundreds of fellow police killed. An ancient soldier making attack would know he had a very high probability of being killed or dismembered.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Project- Influences of Roman military on modern day riot control - by Michael J. Taylor - 11-16-2016, 10:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Influences over pc/modern warfare/military Michael Hill 5 2,925 06-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Frank
  Roman military tactics in modern riots? Epictetus 15 6,740 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Thomas Aagaard
  MODERN DAY ARMY AND ROMAN INFLUENCES Anonymous 12 8,369 02-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Anonymous