Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman religious practices and the Catholic Mass
Quote:But, because every cult/religion (to be objective, I have to call Christianity also a cult) created its own rituals to be unique/ do different things then other cults.

Susanna, calling Christianity a cult can be offensive to many people. Here the definition of a cult:
"a cult is a cohesive group of people (often a relatively small and recently founded religious movement) devoted to beliefs or practices that the surrounding culture or society considers to be far outside the mainstream. Its separate status may come about either due to its novel belief system, because of its idiosyncratic practices or because it opposes the interests of the mainstream culture."
Since Christianity is now nearly 2000 years old, I think you see that it no longer falls under that definition. Christianity is a religion.

Further, I agree with Heiko. We will (under the current rules of this forum) not discuss modern religion in terms of 'you are wrong to believe that or this'because I believe so and so'.
IF you think you have arguments about, say, the origins of rituals in early Christianity, then discuss them with arguments based on fact. That's not a request, that implementing the rules. Siorry folks, but we've had troubles in the past weeks about modern religion and we're determined to moderate this so that no more feelings are hurt. Discuss the subject but discuss facts and arguments. Use references, not sentences like: 'I know this happened', or: 'I believe so or so'.
Those who nonetheles feel offended, friendly confront those who did, it may have been unintentional. OK?

I count on your cooperation to keep this a non-offensive and productive discussion! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman religious practices and the Catholic Mass - by Robert Vermaat - 08-05-2006, 11:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slightly off topic, Roman Civilian, religious question Emerodius 3 1,453 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  roman sexual practices (without getting graphic...) caius matinius mattius 4 3,135 11-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Quintius Clavus