Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slightly off topic, Roman Civilian, religious question
Sorry that this is not Military in nature but Ive been curious for a while. We all know that back in ancient Rome anyone who wanted to be a magistrate or senator had to be independantly wealthy because unlike now politicians were not paid a wage from tax money. What i was wondering is what about the religious offices of Ancient Rome such as Pontifex maximus, flamines and vestal virgins. were they paid a salary or allowance from Romes treasury? or did they also have to be wealthy before hand because there was no pay for their jobs?
Richard
Don't have a reference to hand, but the senior appointments - certainly Pontifex Maximus - was a political appointment and later in the gift of the Emperor. Vestal Virgins were women nominated from the "best" families and buried in the mists of the Roman tribal system, and aristocratic.

As for the lower end, I think they were supported by donations.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Apparently some of the religious magistrates were given houses owned by the state. Cassius Dio relates a clever move by Augustus when he assumed the title:

Quote: On the death of Lepidus he was appointed high priest… inasmuch as it was absolutely necessary that the high priest should live in a public residence, he made a part of his own house public property. The house of the rex sacrificulus, however, he gave to the Vestal Virgins, because it was separated merely by a wall from their apartments.

Cassius Dio, 54.27.2-3

I assume that it was "absolutely necessary that the high priest should live in a public residence" because of religious reasons. However, being given a residence could almost be considered a salary of sorts - it was a free place to live, after all.

Evidently the rather obscure rex sacrificulus also had a public house, at least during the Republic.

I don’t know about the flamen. I haven’t found anything to say one way or the other. One interesting point: after consecrated into office he was emancipated from the control of his father (or at least some were). Did he then leave the family home? If so, did he have to buy his own, or did the state give him one?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:... politicians were not paid a wage from tax money. What i was wondering is what about the religious offices of Ancient Rome ...?
It is usually imagined that, under the Principate, senators did not receive a salary, but the proconsul of Asia was paid 1,000,000 sesterces for his year's service (Cassius Dio 79.22.5), and many believe that the other senatorial governors must have received a stipend, too -- but only while they were on the emperor's business. (Of course, it is well known that equestrian officers were paid a salary. That's abundantly clear from inscriptional evidence.)

On the other hand, although menial assistants entrusted with religious duties (the clerks etc.) were paid (basic) salaries, it seems that the prestigious priesthoods (sodales, arvales, etc.) were considered honorary positions. I don't know of any evidence to suggest that they received a salary. (If you find any, I'd be interested!)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman civilian tents Marcus Mummius 4 2,150 08-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius
  Roman religious practices and the Catholic Mass Andy De Cusati 21 4,978 08-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Who\'s Who in Roman Civilian Studies richsc 0 1,087 01-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Last Post: richsc