Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meaning what this word: Celtic. Gaul, Galata, Gaulisc
Hmmm interesting question...

Just found this on the net since I don't have a book about this subject to quote from:

"According to all those historical and verifiable datas, Galicians are entitled to claim their roots are Celtic. The name of the country itself (Galicia) is eloquent enough and confirms its Celtic inheritance. You may have noticed the etymon /*gal/ is the same in the following ethnic terms: Gauls, Galatians from Ancient Galatia (who invaded Macedonia and Greece, led by the Gaulish chief Brennus) and Gaels, the well-known ethno-linguistic group which moved to Ireland, Scotland and to the Isle of Man. Gaels were called Goídeleg in Old Irish, Gaidheal in Scottish, Gaedhealg in Irish and Gwyddel in Welsh. The word "Celt(ic)" itself - I think it usually is pronounced ['kelt(ik)] in America - seems to share the same origin as the word "Gael", the common root being /*(s)kel/, meaning "powerful, prominent", even if Proto-Celtic stem /*gal(no)/ or /*galnu/ exists and expresses the notion of "power" as well..."

source: http://www.mail-archive.com/hg@hurdygur ... 00572.html

Fact is that all IE people came from the east and before that other languages were spoken in Europe.
The Celtic culture was preeminent in central Europe during the late bronze age (1200-700 BC) (if I can trust Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celt#Origi ... stribution )which might coincide with the Mycenean culture.
Also all people coming from the steppes later on during migration periods were known for their horsemanship... so why not with the IE people in the very beginning?
Thijs Koelewijn

Messages In This Thread
Re: Meaning what this word: Celtic. Gaul, Galata, Gaulisc - by Razor - 10-31-2006, 11:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Before Caesar-Gaul and the "Celtic Civil War" Frostwulf 2 1,335 10-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Frostwulf