Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where\'s the seam on the tongue Pteruges? (Subarmalis)
In regards to the details of the image that I posted, the first (top) layer of tongue pteruges appears to be one contiguous piece but I don't think that this would be practical. I didn't see a seam in the back and I still think that it could be tied at back centerline. Given the attention of the sculptor to detail though, I am still not sure. I think the stitching on the tongue pteruges shows a couple of possibilities. It's possible that the leather is doubled underneath the tongues only and the stitching shows two pieces that are joined. Perhaps the rolled edge represents a piece of edge binding -presumably in a contrasting color - or a single piece with an edge binding.

If the ornaments on the pteruges were made of metal, I would think that they would then be fastened through the first layer of leather by rivets or by clenching pins or the like cast onto the ornament. This would then be covered with another layer of leather and the edge would be bound.

Anthony, I also agree with you in that what appear to be hinges at the top of the leather first tongue layer are some sort of fastening/fancy stitching fastening the two layers together. My only concern would be that it may affect mobility in some way when joined in this fashion. It would be nice to test it. It also appears that there are many different variations in designer loricas. "I hear that Apollodorus the Greek is coming out with a new line of loricae that have an Etruscan flair this year!", "Slim is in with the newly redesigned style of contoured, body-hugging lorica for the well-appointed equestrian" "Glam is the catchword with the new hinged tongue pteruges made of GENUINE BRONZE that jingle when you walk, impress the women and awe your enemies as you pass!"...
C. Apollonius Priscus/Alan Homola

Messages In This Thread
Re: Where\'s the seam on the tongue Pteruges? (Subarmalis) - by C. Apollonius Priscus - 10-18-2007, 07:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tunic Seam Winter 4 2,039 01-31-2018, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Hocfutue
  Paenula and Seam Finishes mstraatm 2 1,946 04-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Last Post: mstraatm
  Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges Vitruvius 14 3,029 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius