Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
York Roman festival
I felt, having read many comments about us it was about time I came forward with a reply.
Seven years ago I decided that it was time York should have a Roman festival if not just to stop people reffering to the city as "Viking"
I spent many months trying to get the momentum going and realised I would have to just "go for it" if it were ever to take off.
It's fair to say that we have had quite a struggle to get where we are today.
There have been some that wished to get involved because they could see the financial side of it and wanted to simply make money. Thankfully one by one we have got rid of them and the festival remains totally non for profit with many of the organisers putting in hundreds of hours for free.
I noticed a post from a good friend in Hungary, Gustav from Collegium Gladitorium. In truth we have struggled with funding recently and were simply not able to afford the group but hope that measures we are putting in place now should be able to secure their return in the future.
We make the whole event free for everyone to attend, makeing no charge for any of the displays or events and try very hard to have something for everyone that shows all sides of Rome.
I know in the past there have been some that have been critical of some of our displays, like the belly dancers but I say again that we try to hit all levels of audience age and interest.
Last year we were struggling with funding as we were let down at the last minute with money promised to us and so decided to put the festival back to October to give us more time (though with the help of Roman Antiquita we managed to put on a small event at our usual time of July) To avoid anymore confusion it was felt that this years should also be in October before we move to our permenant date of the end of May from next year.
This year is also different in that we are going to move the arena in St Sampsons Square to the same place as the LHC which is just behind what remains of the roman fortress at the side of the library.
There will be members of Roman Antiquita and Chester Guard along with a smattering of Celts from various groups. Among the LHC will be wood turners, a potter, blacksmith, weaver and various displays.
Kids are obviously a big part and we will be catering for them them in many ways including the chance for them to become Roman Soldiers or Celts, it's great fun and so it should be!
Another diffence is that Saturday is usually our main day but this year Sunday is the busier day with Saturday spent building up to an evening event we are going to run, there is a small charge for this but food and drink plus entertainment is provided.
What I wish to make clear is that anyone and everyone is welcome to the whole festival and anyone turning up in kit can join us for the event on the evening (just bring beer and a sleeping bag) I know it's october but we won't be doing it again at this time. Last year was quite warm, honestly! There are some tents available but there is also an undercover part within the camp.
If you just wish to come and take a look at us then please do, if anyone wishes to get involved them please come and talk to us.
There was a comment recently with reference to York deserving a great Roman festival again. That would be one that we orgainsed then? We've done it before and shall again.
I have avoided posting on this site as I did not wish to get involved in tit for tat comments but I would be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has.
So I will finish by saying the York Roman Festival is on the 25th and 26 October. Anyone wishing to have some fun, be a Roman, see Romans get drunk, and just chill out (no moaning allowed, life's too short) then we'll see you there. Despite what has been suggested the YRF is open to everyone.
Keith Mulhearn

Messages In This Thread
York Roman festival - by Maximus Gluteus - 09-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Re: York Roman festival - by authun - 09-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Re: York Roman festival - by Maximus Gluteus - 09-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Re: York Roman festival - by authun - 09-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Re: York Roman festival - by Maximus Gluteus - 09-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Re: York Roman festival - by authun - 09-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Re: York Roman festival - by Maximus Gluteus - 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Re: York Roman festival - by Opifex - 09-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Re: York Roman festival - by Maximus Gluteus - 09-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Re: York Roman festival - by Salvianus - 09-13-2008, 03:59 PM