Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
A while back I put forth the notion that metal plates might be fastened beneath the material of front of a linothorax or spolas for added protection. I'm surely not the first or only to have done so. One big objection at the time was simply "where is a surviving piece of this plate?" I agreed that it was a big problem to have nothing to point to.

Today I happened to read this paper:
New Data on Ancient Bactrian Body-Armour (In the Light of Finds from Kampyr Tepe)
Valeri P. Nikonorov and Serge A. Savchuk
Iran, Vol. 30, (1992), pp. 49-54

The paper describes a piece of bronze plate of Hellenistic date that the author assumes to have been a bronze plate cuirasse of an atypical form with a front plate made of multiple parts riveted together- perhaps damaged and repaired. But I wonder if it is an example of the under-armor plating I have sought. One thing I'll note is that I have always wondered about the decorative bands seen on the uper chest of many of these armors on vases. They are consistant enough to make me seek a function above decoration. If you look at the image below, you'll see a well known depiction of a corslet showing such a band on the right. On the left is the fragment of bronze armor found. In the middle is the two superimposed. It of course is coincidence, but the rivets even match up with dots on the band that one would assume were decorative motiffs. But perhaps the decoration occurs specifically to obscure the rivets. I welcome any opinions, this is of course speculation, and much more detail on that find is needed- like if there is room beneath the rivets for a later of material.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by PMBardunias - 08-18-2010, 09:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,345 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr