Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Quote:It seems to me that in comparing coats-of-plates from the 12-13 C AD, or Asiatic examples for that matter with Greek Tube- and-Yoke corselets, something fundamental is being overlooked. In every example of a coat-of-plates, the rivetting ( at least that between plates and organic material holding the plates) is externally visible.

You have to read the whole thread. Far from being overlooked,I addressed this in the first post. One thing that jumped out when I attempted to superimpose the plate on an illustration of a T-Y, basically chosen at random, is the the line of rivets matches perfectly with the decorative band across the chest that could have been applied to hide the rivets. In fact oddly in this one it even matches a line of circles that you cannot say are definitely not rivets! Though this is probably coinicidence.

Perhaps I need to be clear once again. Sometimes I post on RAT things that I am fairly sure are true about hoplites, at least as sure as anyone can be. Other times I simply throw out things that are possible so that we may discuss them. This is the later. A string of possibilities and coincidences that may be nothing at all- or this may be the first chapter in the discovery of a new form of hoplite armor. Although I am defending this to the best of my ability, I in no way believe this to be proven or true. You above all should understand this system Paul! :wink:
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by PMBardunias - 08-22-2010, 02:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,395 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr