Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History Channel program on King Arthur
Thanks Tom.<br>
<br>
You underline my point perfectly.<br>
<br>
Perhaps Spielberg was just 'showing off' by mentioning the SS units by name, but he was doing so for the very people who would know he was wrong.<br>
<br>
In talking with people after the film, none were aware of the unit names or their meaning. (In fact many thought that Captian Miller was killed by the SS man who passed Corporal Opphem on the steps, and not the German Army Private that Miller spared at the radar site -- Hollywood irony.) Most Americans are unaware of the 2nd SS and its brutal march from southern France to the Normandy front. Nor of its 'exploits' on the Eastern Front. For the vast majority they were all just Germans.<br>
<br>
So the question remains, why use a unit name, loaded with meaning, and use it incorrectly?<br>
<br>
I think he must have had more in mind, trying to make a deeper point about the nature of perception, of the enemy, of individuals in a specific group (guilt by association), of war etc. However, that is a line of thought far to long to go into here.<br>
<br>
Perhaps when it comes to Hollywood and History we must take our pleasures where we can, in the little things they do get right, and the fact that anyone is interested at all. Despite all the errors in the recent Troy film, Ancient History classes are enjoing a new found popularity, as will, no doubt, classes dealing with Arthur and his Knights.<br>
<br>
It is when film makers make the bold claim to be telling the 'truth for the first time!' about an event, be it D-Day or King Arthur, that they set themselves up to be thrown to the lions, as it were.<br>
<br>
Spielberg should be given credit for using the re-enactor community as a resource, just as the History Channel has done with Matt and others from this site. If we can just get Hollywood to tap into the 'Group Mind' at this site more often I'm sure we would all be happier, at least with their efforts if not their final results.<br>
<br>
Again my appologies to the group for straying from the topic.<br>
<br>
Narukami<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
History Channel program on King Arthur - by Anonymous - 06-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Re: History Channel program on King Arthur - by Anonymous - 06-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Re: History Channel program on King Arthur - by John Maddox Roberts - 06-23-2004, 01:48 AM
History Channel program on King Arthur - by Anonymous - 06-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Getting the \'Look\' correct - by Anonymous - 06-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Re: re: getting the look correct - by Anonymous - 06-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Re: re: getting the look correct - by Gashford - 06-23-2004, 02:18 PM
History Channel Arthur show - by Matthew Amt - 06-23-2004, 03:31 PM
History or Entertainment - by Anonymous - 06-23-2004, 09:59 PM
History Channel program on King Arthur - by Anonymous - 06-24-2004, 10:42 AM
History According to Hollywood - by Anonymous - 06-24-2004, 12:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \'Warriors\' on History Channel Praefectusclassis 6 2,659 04-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  History Channel: Life & Death In Ancient Rome Narukami 2 1,550 05-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  History Channel: Last Stand of the 300 qcarr 9 2,602 03-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar