Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byzantine Empire: Greek Romans or Roman Greeks?
Hi,<br>
I think that the place for the so-called 'Byzantines' is on RAT and they would had liked it.<br>
Reasons? Well, they were the eastern half of the Roman Empire, they considered themselves 'Romans', they called themselves 'Romans' and their enemies called them 'Romans'.<br>
Their army was, in the beginning, as Roman as the Western army was (remember those command orders in Latin, still in the sixth century AD) but... it evolved until it disappeared in the Fourteenth century AD.<br>
That's a problem. If we'd talk of the Eastern army of the Fifth to Seventh centuries AD, I would not doubt to class it as totally 'Roman' but, what would we do later? I think that it would be rather absurd to include that later army on the RAT, maybe they would deserve a separate forum, in case there were enough interested members for it.<br>
All in all, I think that the 'Byzantines' are as out of place here (even if they were Greeks by language and to a great extent by race) as a Roman legionary would be.<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner

Messages In This Thread
Byzantine Empire: Greek Romans or Roman Greeks? - by Anonymous - 11-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Re: Byzantine Empire: Greek Romans or Roman Greeks? - by aitor iriarte - 11-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Re: Byzantine Empire: Greek Romans or Roman Greeks? - by Anonymous - 11-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Re: Byzantine Empire: Greek Romans or Roman Greeks? - by Anonymous - 11-24-2003, 08:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Romans in China? No--How About Ancient Greeks ... Narukami 8 3,935 11-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Draconis
  Byzantine Empire Gaius Julius Caesar 20 3,824 06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  What would the Byzantine Empire have to do to survive? Steakslim 38 8,054 07-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr