Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most realistic movie depictions of ancient warfare
I did enjoy some of the battle scenes from TV movie/documentary Hannibal with Alexander Siddig especially the battle at Cannae where it started with the Roman lines advancing on the Carthaginians before breaking up into the usual series of individual fights but I remember one scene where the Romans are concentrating on pushing the centre of Hannibal's infantry lines & while they were busy pushing you could see the Libyan infantry assembling on the flanks for the famous envelopment. Although it isn't big budget & cheap CGI & it does have it's faults like when Hannibal has a conference with his commanders & tells them they will be going through France instead of Gaul & I am sure members of this forum would have a field day with the faults in costuming but it was enjoyable. Shot in Bulgaria. IMDB reference below.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0766213/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3
I shall post screen grabs of some battle scenes from movie below. Apologies for quality.

[attachment=7634]cannae1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7635]cannae2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7636]cannae3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7637]cannae4.jpg[/attachment]

Regards
Michael Kerr

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
Most realistic movie depictions of ancient warfare - by Michael Kerr - 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ANCIENT PERIOD MOVIE REVIEWS jkaler48 221 357,096 12-14-2017, 09:45 AM
Last Post: alexphilips
  Ancient Warfare Magazine Ioannes 3 2,338 11-17-2015, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Ancient Warfare sale! Praefectusclassis 1 1,460 10-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Last Post: M.VAL.BRUTUS