Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would jeweler's brass make an effective shield boss?
just a note:
I am refering too "Standard Wire Gauge" (UK Standard or was) 14g or 14SWG which is 2.03mm thick call it 2mm. By this standard the metal your referring too at 1.63mm is 16SWG, so were not really on the same page here.

"Jeweller's Brass" likely equivalent "Gilding metal" (what I know it as) is approx 5/1 copper/zinc.

If I was making such a shield I dont think I would use a a center grip boss, as personally I would find the orientation a problem since you would have to decide for a horizontal or vertical grip, and the hand hold shape I described would I think only be usefull for a horizontal grip on such a shield and if you look at oval shields this is the way it usually is.

Ditch the boss idea I honestly cant see any real evidence for it, the type of grip I'd go for would be leather straps X held at the center in a fist, alternative )( but with this you only have one orientation. There needs to be padding underneath the grip to protect the hand.

The wood of the shield should be a light but reasonable thick plywood, really dense heavy plywood is unnecesary and would likely end up to heavy, and what your aiming for is a strong light shield capable of taking damage, shape the front so it thins to all the edges forming a slightly curved surface this is to reduce weight, cover the front with a layer of medium thickness linen(or two layers of a thinner cloth) soaked in thinned wood glue, ordinary pva will do, wrap the cloth round the edges of the shield board, cover the back as well if you wish with a thin cloth, this will help to absorb damage make the shield stronger without an excessive increase in weight.
Edge the final result with a strip of rawhide (leather won't do) about an inch or so deep on the face of the shield and stitch in place with a course thread (no nails) this will protect the edge.

The cross-straps will allow to hold the shield with a horizontal or vertical grip.

Just some ideas you may find usefull.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would jeweler's brass make an effective shield boss? - by Crispianus - 08-18-2019, 10:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to make a Greek shield from a Winter UFO sled MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 1 2,539 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius