Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores
It has been many years ago I found this reference, so I have to refresh my memory. What we need is to find those references and write them down in English and also the original Greek text.

The reference of the Chronicon Paschale I found in this book: “The History of Zonaras: From Alexander Severus to the Death of Theodosius the Great (Routledge Classical Translations) by Thomas Banchich, Eugene Lane.”

There is a translation of the Chronicon Paschale: “Chronicon Paschale 284-628 (Translated Texts for Historians Liverpool University Press) by Michael Whitby, Mary Whitby.”

This translation is not useful since the reference in question is before the year 284.

The Original Greek (+Latin translation) in Migne:
https://books.google.nl/books?id=7qEcpMZ...&q&f=false

Gordian III = page 661-662
Philip = page 665-666

Gordian III:
Looking at the notes there is indeed another version of this event in the History of Cedrenus. There also I think seems to be yet another version of the event in the history of George Hamartolos the Monk.

Philip:
Observe! There is a difference in translation. According to Bachrich and Lane it is the Sixth School. But according to the original Greek (and Latin) it is the Seventh School.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores - by Julian de Vries - 10-11-2020, 10:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,666 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,916 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Seniores and Iuniores (again) Colonel Chabert 23 3,590 01-09-2021, 12:42 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross