Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Jasper equip Batavians
Quote:Big? 24-25in.

Theilenhofen would fit lol, wrong period tho'?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Aren't some of the Cooluses quite sizeable?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Possibly, I haven't tried them.....sorry I can't help.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, anyway, it's not just about me, but see Jurjen's list above. We need quite a stack of kit.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Well, anyway, it's not just about me, but see Jurjen's list above. We need quite a stack of kit.

Like I said, I could donate a couple of helmets on loan...but they are probably not the right type, so good luck!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Jasper Oorthuys:3kirbjrb Wrote:And oh, yeah, this may be the one and only time to get me in Roman kit. All of you who've been clamoring for that for years, here's your chance!
This is an opportunity that cannot be missed.
I hope that won't be the one and only time you get dressed! It's like a drug, once You've tasted it... Confusedhock:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
OK, I will probably live to regret this, but I am willing to produce the spearpoints (hasta's, I presume) and buttspikes for ten spears. Shafts will not be a problem, I presume, unless you want proper ash shafts. I do have good ash in the right lenght, but not as poles. They will be on loan. Same goes for three Batavian oval shields, I would make more, but I gave Cordus an umbo, so only have three left. Rawhide rimming, paintjob and rim will be most of the work, but as Jurjen lives close by, I am sure he will want to pich in some free labour. Template supllied by Peroni, I had in digitaly folded out to a full size template. I have an extra helmet on loan and as I do a Batavian impression, that's one extra kit, though I'll be wearing it. :lol:
Will the tunic be ones with sleeves?
The foundation (Noviolocus) could perhaps pitch in with the wood for the pallisade, but that will take a bit more arranging. There are some other complicating issue's there, though, one is called "Catastrofus". However, we could team up with Chariovalda, letting them claim the credits.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I have 2 shieldblanks and 3 bosses lying around.
And I could support 2 pompeii gladii and one pugio.

@Robert: I could pich in some time, but let me know what you want me to do, because I'm very busy anyway (doing some other (real big) reproductions for the event). 2008 will be a hard but great year Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Something for your event?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=007

Lucius Domitius Aurelianus
Patrik Pföstl

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.roemer.ch.vu">http://www.roemer.ch.vu

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php">http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php

[Image: o3.gif]

@Jurjen, some help with the painting and stitching. You may want to try a day forging? I'll make you a forged utility knife as a trade for one boss. I could make then make another oval shieldblank to go with the boss, which would give us 6 Batavian shields right away. Your two blanks and my four. If we get another four bosses the shields are handled. That makes ten spears and six shields taken care of here and now. On the helmets, perhaps we could make some Krefeld Batavian helmets! I have wanted to do one anyway.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
@Robert: sounds like a good deal. I really would like to come a day to your place for forging. Note that I've one oval and one straight-sided (Kessel, as I'm correct) blank, but that shouldn't be a problem, nor helping with stiching and painting would be. Have to do mine as well (they're now only uncovered wood.)

Quote:So, we now have:
-6 scuta
-2 pompeii gladii
-1 pugio
-10 hasta
ALA I BATAVORUM
We will have to decide on the colour of the tunics :lol: I have a bolt of good wool, but it is an light brown. Good weave though. We could use that for the trousers, that's the reason I snapped it up, to make a pair of my own. Patterns is the major pain!

Is that a "normal" round boss we are talking about? Those are the ones I use. I vave two iron and one brass, gave the other brass one to Cordvs.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Jup, I've 3 iron round bosses. Brown for tunic seems good to me.

We akso don't want 10 batavians looking the same. So not one tunic color, but everything with is a natural color would be fine.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I don't have any hard kit worth mentioning, but I could offer a white paenula (bleached cream-white wool, 2:2 twill), a linen undertunic, linen tunic (the extremely wide, baggy interpretation of the 'knot in the neck' kind that can slip the neckhole down over the right shoulder when unknotted) and an unbleached-wool 'Gallic coat' based on the Reepsholt find, but in a somewhat finer weave and without the decorative thread around the neck. Both the Gallic coat and paenula are handsewn with woolen threads.

I've also got a very rich dark blue long tunic based on my interpretation of the Pompeii 'bread vendor' fresco and a dark red short and short-sleeved tunic that unfportunately looks more like Trajan's Column than any real Roman gear I've heard of (all visible stitches handsewn, but with linen thread) plus a blanketweight unbleached white worktunic with short sleeves (handsewn, but again unfortunately with linen thread).

If you can use any of these, we can start planning how to get them there.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
I can supply you with a kitted out Batavian (with a krefeld helmet too). We will be present at the event anyway, so you can borrow him. I must warn you that he is quite unruly. Consantly revolting, brawling.... :lol: I'm glad there is only one in my group :lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Saw and other equip Anonymous 12 4,570 07-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Anonymous