Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd bigger volcano may shut down ALL airtravel
Quote:but you do realize that this anecdote is in Herotodos to show Xerxes' hubris, which obviously needs taking down a notch as the Greeks subsequently proceeded to do...
Yes. Heh. So they did.

But equally spurious is the notion that we have jurisdiction over bubbling magma, right? :wink: :roll:

I'm afraid your airplane is grounded for the time being. Is it reparable, or just salvageable for parts now?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Salvageable for parts....... DOA... but am looking into getting a new one soon.... i loved the critter, it flew really well...

[Image: SUNP0010.jpg]

never exchange a proven field for an unknown without getting your bearings straight......

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:But equally spurious is the notion that we have jurisdiction over bubbling magma, right?
Yeah, somewhat... :wink: :wink:

I liked the Brit who apparently told a journalist "Dear Iceland, we wanted Cash, not ash!" (in reference to the Landesbanki going under problem...) Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
During the Pompeii eruption all air traffic was grounded in the Empire too........

Confusedhock:

H.J.Vrielink.
Then all the poor Beggers there could not get a Ferry Boat out either !!!!
Brian Stobbs
That's a nice looking aircraft I can remember seeing a real one of those standing in our market square here in England many years ago.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Salvageable for parts....... DOA... but am looking into getting a new one soon.... i loved the critter, it flew really well...

[Image: SUNP0010.jpg]

never exchange a proven field for an unknown without getting your bearings straight......

M.VIB.M.

As a teen many years ago I built a ME 163B plastic model kit and installed a rocket motor. It behaved exactly as some of the real ones and spewed fire and blew up on the runway
somewhat like a volcano Big Grin
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Philius, that would have been a great sight back then, and reason for a party! it meant a job well done by the lads up above.... Big Grin

JKaler, indeed a Volcano action of your model kit !

These days people can even buy themselves model turbines to put inside a plane... Confusedhock:

M.VIB/M/

H.J.Vrielink.
I saw one of those and a hurricane perform up at Lossiemouth in '86. It was quite the sight.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The aircraft I refer to must have stayed to long in our airspace and the guy must have just run out of fuel so he had to land it and no one was hurt which was a good thing.
I spent almost a third of my life as an Electronics Technician Fiight Systems so I can understand the situation he got himself into, but in all my 22 years there was never a time when we ever got to the point of no return happy days.

They say that things may go back to normal for aircraft to move again very soon so let us hope all goes well for everyone, anyway I'm getting ready for another trip down to the Med', I've flown all the oceans on the planet and very many seas but have never got to the Greek Islands yet so must be due and I'm sure Byron would agree.
Brian Stobbs
Thats for sure!!

Here the officials issued a NOTAM barring VFR flight and according to the law even model aeroplanes should have been grounded in CTR airspace... Confusedhock:

Now they issued another one allowing VFR. So hope every private pilot who wants to can fly again soon.

The story of the 109 is fascinating !! i read in one of the books i have on WWII that a lone Focke Wulf with too little juice thought it reached the mainland, and landed on an RAF base, thus providing the allies with the first FW190 they ever saw.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Supposedly, air restrictions will be lifted in the morning. I am hoping to get out tomorrow afternoon. Or
call in my loses. One or the other.

Yes, Greece is worth it Brian.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
sorry for getting slightly OT again, Jasper :wink:
Quote:I liked the Brit who apparently told a journalist "Dear Iceland, we wanted Cash, not ash!" (in reference to the Landesbanki going under problem...)
Smile
Some of the german "variants" given in interviews were like : They been burning our cash, now all they're giving back is ash/ all we getting back is ash. (In rhymes ! 8) )

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
I saw this website mentioned on the BBC:

http://flightradar24.com/

It's pretty cool. It shows live aircraft traffic over europe. You can click on a plane and get its information, such as altitude, speed and destination. I've glanced at it over the past few days, and it was easy to see where the no-fly zones were at any given moment.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Brilliant website! Thanks!!

UPDATE: it's addictive!! I've been tracking a Puma helo out of Aberdeen, and a coast guard turboprop Dornier from Eindhoven to Schiphol..

As a kid, we lived under a busy air traffic lane, and I often dreamily wondered what plane I saw, where it came from and where it was heading.. and now I KNOW!!! Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Watch for Volcano scams on the internet jkaler48 10 1,809 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! Gaius Julius Caesar 37 5,141 04-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius