Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman soldier hygeine kit
Byron,

Would you happen to have a picture of a strigilis?

David, a comb, razor, ear cleaner, tweezers, nail cleaner, sea sponge, mirror; I think your basic toiletry kit. I am not sure about something to clean their teeth.

Is there any evidence of teeth cleaners?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hello Doc,

sorry but no. I have often grumbled to myself that they don't appear to often put a scale to measure these things with
for photography.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks anyway Byron. You gave me a good amount as is.

One question I have is about the small spoon. Is it for ear clearning or for scooping things out.

Eitherway, is it concave in the center like a regular spoon or is it flat. The reason I ask is because some of the supposed spoons are flat while others appear to have a small indentation. Is is possible the flat one is the ear cleaner while the other is the spoon?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Thanks anyway Byron. You gave me a good amount as is.

One question I have is about the small spoon. Is it for ear clearning or for scooping things out.

Eitherway, is it concave in the center like a regular spoon or is it flat. The reason I ask is because some of the supposed spoons are flat while others appear to have a small indentation. Is is possible the flat one is the ear cleaner while the other is the spoon?

Could just be lazy craftsmen? I don't know.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Just to add that the only source revealing that Roman 'toilet paper' was the sponge on stick is L. Annaeus Senca's (Seneca the Younger's) Letter 8, Book 70, in which he writes on suicide:

"Nay, men of the meanest lot in life have by a mighty impulse escaped to safety, and when they were not allowed to die at their own convenience, or to suit themselves in their choice of the instruments of death, they have snatched up whatever was lying ready to hand, and by sheer strength have turned objects which were by nature harmless into weapons of their own. For example, there was lately in a training-school for the wild-beast gladiators a German, who was making ready for the morning exhibition; he withdrew in order to relieve himself,-the only thing which he was allowed to do in secret and without the presence of a guard. While so engaged, he seized the stick of wood, tipped with a sponge, which was devoted to the vilest uses, and stuffed it, just as it was, down his throat; thus he blocked up his windpipe, and choked the breath from his body. That was truly to insult death! Yes, indeed; it was not a very elegant or becoming way to die; but was it more foolish than to be over-nice about dying? What a brave fellow! He surely deserved to be allowed to choose his fate! How bravely he would have wielded a sword! With what courage he would have hurled himself into the depths of the sea, or down a precipice! Cut off from resources on every hand, he yet found a way to furnish himself with death, and with a weapon for death. Hence you can understand that nothing but the will need postpone death. Let each man judge the deed of this most zealous fellow as he likes, provided we agree on this point,-that the foulest death is preferable to the fairest slavery."
( http://www.molloy.edu/sophia/seneca/epistles/ep70.htm )

"...vilissimae sortis homines ingenti impetu in tutum evaserunt, cumque e commodo mori non licuisset nec ad arbitrium suum instrumenta mortis eligere, obvia quaeque rapuerunt et quae natura non erant noxia vi sua tela fecerunt. [20] Nuper in ludo bestiariorum unus e Germanis, cum ad matutina spectacula pararetur, secessit ad exonerandum corpus - nullum aliud illi dabatur sine custode secretum; ibi lignum id quod ad emundanda obscena adhaerente spongia positum est totum in gulam farsit et interclusis faucibus spiritum elisit. Hoc fuit morti contumeliam facere. Ita prorsus, parum munde et parum decenter: quid est stultius quam fastidiose mori? [21] O virum fortem, o dignum cui fati daretur electio! Quam fortiter ille gladio usus esset, quam animose in profundam se altitudinem maris aut abscisae rupis immisisset! Undique destitutus invenit quemadmodum et mortem sibi deberet et telum, ut scias ad moriendum nihil aliud in mora esse quam velle. Existimetur de facto hominis acerrimi ut cuique visum erit, dum hoc constet, praeferendam esse spurcissimam mortem servituti mundissimae."
( http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/sen/seneca.ep8.shtml )

Quite a story!
Lindsay Powell
[url:1j6646pm]http://www.Lindsay-Powell.com[/url] website
@Lindsay_Powell twitter
A Museum in Utah has the dimensions of a stirgil in their collection: w: 1 3/16 in, l: 5 in. No image, though.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Thanks David for the data.

Paolo