Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boudica Movie
Claudia Black would be a perfect Boudicca. She's got that steely eyed sexy hot look.
Petillius should be played by Patrick Stewart and Nero by Nathan Lane for obvious reasons.
My Boudicca :

[Image: 215867-elle-style-awards-karen-gillan.jpg]
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Boudica - Polly Walker
Suetonius Paulinus - Christopher Eccleston
Catus Decianus - Ricky Gervais
Emperor Nero - Rafe Spall (or Jareb Dauplaise for the bigger version!)
Seneca - Simon Callow

Big Grin
Nathan Ross
Quote:Boudica - Polly Walker
Suetonius Paulinus - Christopher Eccleston
Catus Decianus - Ricky Gervais
Emperor Nero - Rafe Spall (or Jareb Dauplaise for the bigger version!)
Seneca - Simon Callow

Big Grin

I think for a big budget movie you need big budget stars.
I'd like to see Keeley Hazell play one of Boud's daughters.
Boudica - Joanna Page
[Image: dora.jpg]

Suetonius Paulinus - James Gandolfini
[Image: James-Gandolfini-GG1.jpg]

Catus Decianus - Bradley Cooper
[Image: bradley-cooper.jpg]

Emperor Nero - Michael Angarano
[Image: Celebritym_567.jpg]

Seneca - Frank Langella
[Image: large_image-1.jpg]
--- Marcus F. ---
While casting (or miscasting) this "movie" is a lot of fun, to quote the Bard, "I run before my horse to market."

What we need is a really good script, and that will be even more difficult to obtain than a cast that not only looks the part but can also act.

Now, the new Ralph Fiennes film of Coriolanus was written by the writer of Gladiator and The Last Samurai, but that is, I think, a dubious pedigree. While box office hits in the best Hollywood tradition, their treatment of history was also in the "best" Hollywood tradition. That should give us pause when considering any new Boudicca film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsYrGIQnmxo

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Forgive me; I thought the writer of Coriolanus was Shakespeare? :wink:

I rather like the trailers for this movie...Gerard Butler too!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Looks very interesting. Police riots always are, and rebelling against a country than betrayed you, I love the Bourne!!!!
Samuel J.
I have to say that the only people who could do the Boudicca film justice are the English. As an American, our movies tend to settle into 90-110 minutes of CGI garbage, balls of fire, no script, and heaps of hooey.

The average American has little or no decent knowledge of history (our culture is based on the "Express" microwave drive-thru mindset)so a rich character like Boudicca would go over most people's heads.
Quote:I have to say that the only people who could do the Boudicca film justice are the English. As an American, our movies tend to settle into 90-110 minutes of CGI garbage, balls of fire, no script, and heaps of hooey.

The average American has little or no decent knowledge of history (our culture is based on the "Express" microwave drive-thru mindset)so a rich character like Boudicca would go over most people's heads.

That's big of you to say that - and in some instances I would agree with you. My own gripe would be aimed specifically at Hollywood rather than the average American. I think the propogation of history in American society (based on my own experience of living there for a while) is quite insular and parochial. This is not altogether surprising. The business of nation-building has tended towards introspection and inclusiveness rather than accurate depictions of history around the world. There was a time when even Hollywood did actual look far and wide for its source material, but since the days of what I would call the US Neo-Imperialist World View (post Reagan/Bush/PNAC etc.), the focus has tended to be upon American-only subjects. Hence the spate of WW2 films where nobody but GIs ever rushes up a Normandy beach or battles fanatical Nazis.

More alarming has been the recent tendency to rewrite history into the Americanis(z)ed mould. That is a worrying process because it clouds real history with modern myth-making. When the average Los Angeleno kid surveyed in recent times thought WW2 was sometime in the 1950s we should start to be concerned. When Hollywood promotes 'history' as commercial product where there are no rules at all - then we should be really worried.

There is a long list of pseudo history in recent years that mixes fact with fantasy and only the student of real history can actually see the distortions. Films like Memphis Belle; U-571; The Patriot; and others, have all suffered fromn this to a greater or lesser extent. The proposed new version of The Colditz Story chronicling the great American escapes from Oflag 4C is really just taking the piss! :evil:

However, having said that, I enjoy some of the America Civil War epics and that is a subject that surely only the US can do real justice to? It is also a case in point (and a reassuring one too) that some of the most expressive and well-informed commentators on this site hail from across the Atlantic.

So there is hope after all! Don't be too hard on yourselves! :lol:
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:What we need is a really good script, and that will be even more difficult to obtain than a cast that not only looks the part but can also act.

You probably know more about the current state of Hollywood screenwriting than most here, David! We might be better coming up with suitable directors. Kubrick would have been the ideal candidate - not only for Spartacus, but for proving his historical-accuracy abilities in Barry Lyndon. John Boorman would perhaps make a good job of it, although he did employ Valerio Manfredi (author of the Last Legion etc) as one of the screenwriters for his proposed Hadrian, so perhaps his judgement isn't so great in these matters... (I heard rumours that Hadrian had started shooting in Morocco last year, btw, with Daniel Craig in the lead role (!) Any news on this?)

Peter Weir did a good job as writer/director on Master & Commander, with a minimum of 'Hollywood history' going on. Not sure how he'd handle chariots.

Meanwhile - here's another (and slightly bigger budget these days) Boudica:
TILDA SWINTON (who might be older than other suggestions, but the real woman would have been in her 30s, and looked older to our eyes...)
Nathan Ross
What about directors? I would consider one of the following directors.

Oliver Stone directed Alexander, Platoon, Midnight Express, Scarface, etc.
Christopher Nolan directed The Dark Knight and Inception
Mel Gibson directed Braveheart, Apocolypto, The Passion of Christ and The Patriot

All very successful major blockbuster films, well except for Alexander
Quote:What we need is a really good script, and that will be even more difficult to obtain than a cast that not only looks the part but can also act.

Narukami

I recently read a very good book: The Immortal's Legion written by an unknown Italian author. Truly excellent book built around the military life of a man who served as a X Legion Aquilifer (one of the few named by J.Caesar in the De bello Gallico, )from the 1st expedition to Britannia all the way through the final drama of Atuatuca.
Today is going to be released his new book centered around Queen Boudica' rebellion.

http://www.massimilianocolombo.eu/index....=4&lang=en

Will let you know if it would be a suitable script for a movie ! (The Immortal's Legion was it)