Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Domitianic Diploma for Syria dated 10.Aug.93?
Quote:Just type-in a word in the 'suchtext' box, and hit enter and it will list and show all the epigraphic detail of any stone, diploma etc which includes the search word. This could be a name a cohort etc.
It is also possible to search by province and find site.
I have found it extremely useful whilst researching the Batavian cohorts for my book.
Thanks Jasper, that does indeed make life a little easier for us lazy English!
Regards,

Ave Peroni (Adrian)

I tried the site again and, as you suggested, I input I Ascalonitanorum into the suchtext1 box "et voila" up came the data. Another new skill I've learned today, thanks to you.

Tell me more about this book that you are writing, please?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Jim,

I have sent you a PM explaining my book.

Cheers,
Dear friends,

nice to see this interest in military diplomas on RAT.

As webmaster of www.romancoins.info let me reassure you that all those diploma fragments posted on romancoins.info are already published or in the process of being published by us or colleagues. Most reside in major museums, but many also in private collections.

The currently available secondary literature like CIL XVI and CIL XVI Supplement cover up up to the 1950s, and Margaret Roxan's Roman Military Diploma series since then cover all publications up to 2000s (the new volume V Paul Holder is working on). There are in addition however many many publications not yet in secondary literature: either published after the cutoff date or in still preparation for the many various journals like Chiron, Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik, etc, etc.

Seeing a diploma ie on www.romancoins.info but not finding it in CIL or RMD does thus not mean it is unknown. By the nature of secondary publications they are several years , if not decades behind.

This makes a tremendous difference as the flood of new diplomas coming to light these days is enormous (even though slowing down recently). If you are in doubt you may always contact me directly to check in my personal data base of all diplomas. The total number approaches some 1000 these days.

I look forward to further interested exchange,
Andreas Pangerl

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Domitianic Diploma for Iudaea dated 90 AD! Spedius 2 2,014 02-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Spedius
  Domitianic Diploma Fragment For Ivdaea? Spedius 2 1,807 02-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Spedius
  Trajanic Diploma for Moesia Inferior dated 13.Mai.105? Spedius 8 2,900 02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Last Post: raeticus