Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V century impression
So, whatever model of shoe is tried, is aproved!

No, it's a joke. I'm thinking in a enclosed boot, very "impersonal" without decorations or so. A kind of viking shoe.

What do you think about?
Quote:Ivan,
It is a relevant pic for me. At last I could have a photo in front of the Deurne findspot! Big Grin
Eeerr, say around 20 kg less...

Aitor
[size=200:k2v8f47y]20 kg?!?!?![/size] Do you also have lower back problems?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Cesar,

Rather than 'approved', I'd say 'overlooked'... 8)

Ivan,

No, it was my right knee and upper back. Curiously, now that I am thinner my lumbar area has started aching... :x

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
It seems that 5th century footwear is a tricky proposition no matter what you go with.

I wonder (particularly in a British setting where folks were much more isolated after 410 AD) if there would be any value in estimating a hybrid between well-known 3rd cent roman styles and later 6th cent Anglo-Saxon styles.

Thoughts?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Quote:particularly in a British setting where folks were much more isolated after 410 AD
That's a myth. Britain was no more isolated in 411 than it was in 409.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Franklin:2ipv3dyr Wrote:particularly in a British setting where folks were much more isolated after 410 AD
That's a myth. Britain was no more isolated in 411 than it was in 409.

Oh, you don't have to convince me! I wrote more than one paper at university arguing for the continuity of "Romanized" lifestyles in Britain well into the 5th cent. But there's no denying that each successive generation after 410 became more and more assimilated into Celtic and Anglo-Saxon culture.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Muchas gracias mi amigo.

Physical therapy is helping, so I will continue with previous unmentioned plans to do 5th century veteran impression. Much lighter. I'll usually wear clothing, etc. on weekends, and outside for special occasions. Our home will continue to be slowly Romanized with good/affordable reproductions.

Congrats on your weight loss. I must lose another 12 Kg...

More later. Take care, my friend. Best regards, +<i>r</i>
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Restitutus,
I'm glad to know that your health is improving and you'll continue in the 'business'! Big Grin
You can also give a great impression being unarmoured!
[Image: mantle.jpg]

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
for your kind comments.

Yes, it's possible to do great unarmored impressions. Your attire is quite impressive. I've particularly enjoyed going through your other photos here & elsewhere on the internet.

Had to adjust my schedule by a few months. I'll still compile the 5th century infantry full kit information as well as the civilian kit information, and post it here to get replies to correct & add details, etc.

By the time my recovery goes as far as it can (9-18 months?), and the medical bills ease, I'll probably have finished my 5th century list by then, and can start buying materials & more finished products. From what I've seen in Osprey's Late Roman Infantryman, Archeon gatherings, etc...., it'll be a great joy.

Thanks again. Best regards, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Information on this book is available at:
[amazon]Roman Military Clothing (3) : AD 400-640[/amazon]
I'm ordering a copy today. However much remains unknown about 5th century Roman clothing, this book will still help me make much headway in preparing my 5th century veteran impression.

Has anyone here read this book? If so, I'd appreciate your comments, recommended additions/revisions, etc. Thanks! Smile +r[/amazon]
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Hi William,
It's a very commendable book! Big Grin
To my mind, Raffaelle D'Amato has pushed his reconstructions too far at some points but he and Graham claim that they have followed the sources closely, as tehy will prove on a forthcoming book.
Take a look at this thread:link from old RAT

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Has anyone here read this book?
Read it? I've posed for it!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Aitor & Robert : Many thanks for redirecting me to book's thread, and for your good posts on that thread. I look forward to the next book for this period.

These books allow me to stop search for that info, so I can focus on making & getting suitable period replicas for retired 5th century veteran kit. Thanks again. Best regards, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
We're glad that we've been of some help, William! Big Grin
You wasn't the only one who posed for the book, Robert! Tongue
(one more laus point and... Idea )

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Quote:You wasn't the only one who posed for the book, Robert! Tongue
I never said that Aitor Big Grin In fact I think you guys modelled for most drawings!

Quote:(one more laus point and... Idea )
It's already happened.. BIG Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3rd Century Impression Liam Boyle 3 1,421 12-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Use of greave(s) for a second century impression? CM Demetrivs Medicvs 9 2,499 02-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Torc for 3de Century impression Aurelianus 6 3,906 12-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar