Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EPIC MOVIE QUIZ
Last two correct Christoph!

No1 has already been answered correctly by Jona. Big Grin

Graham
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Sorry, missed that one. My guess wasn't bad though, LOL!

Quote:8." After nearly thirty years of marriage to Julia my approaching death holds few terrors for me."

This one is right on my tongue, I can almost see the actor saying it, but where is it from? I'll find it out, I know for sure.
Aka
Christoph
message deleted,

Someone else got number 5!
9. "I speak only of Rome. And when I say Rome I mean the world."
Alex Guiness as Marcus Aurelius in The Fall of the Roman Empire.

I think we still have to do:
Quote:3. "....out of the patchwork of conquest, one world, out of one world, one nation, one people on earth living in peace."

8." After nearly thirty years of marriage to Julia my approaching death holds few terrors for me."

13." Barbaric city but fascinating or was until we destroyed it..... now it is nothing but ashes."

14."Our legions stand guard on the boundaries of civilization from the foggy coasts of Britain to the ancient rivers of Babylon, the finest fighting machines in history."

19."It is no accident that one small village on the Tibur was chosen to rule the world. It wasn't just our Legions.......no it was fate that chose us to civilize the world and we have."

21." Being a Christian these days in Rome is anything but dull."

29." Equality, freedom, peace. Who is it that uses these words but Greeks and Jews and slaves?"
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:I think we still have to do:
Quote:
3. "....out of the patchwork of conquest, one world, out of one world, one nation, one people on earth living in peace."

8." After nearly thirty years of marriage to Julia my approaching death holds few terrors for me."

13." Barbaric city but fascinating or was until we destroyed it..... now it is nothing but ashes."

14."Our legions stand guard on the boundaries of civilization from the foggy coasts of Britain to the ancient rivers of Babylon, the finest fighting machines in history."

19."It is no accident that one small village on the Tibur was chosen to rule the world. It wasn't just our Legions.......no it was fate that chose us to civilize the world and we have."

29." Equality, freedom, peace. Who is it that uses these words but Greeks and Jews and slaves?"

Quite right Jona!!! Only a few more to do. These must be for the real buffs, although some lines do come from films which have already been guessed. "So let it be written.... so let it be done!!"

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
29 is a senator in The Fall of the Roman Empire, but I don't know his name. I think that by using google more must be found, but that's not fair play.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:29 is a senator in The Fall of the Roman Empire, but I don't know his name. I think that by using google more must be found, but that's not fair play.
I will let you have that one Jona Big Grin

Eric Porter -Julianus

Graham.

It's nice to be reminded to all those old movies. Because I do not own a TV, cinema still has something magical for me.

My favorite quote, BTW, is the monologue of Pilate (David Bowie) to Jesus in The Last Temptation of Christ, said to be an improvisation based on the story of the grand-inquisitor by Dostoyevski. Very loosely, though.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:1. "A lesson to remember - never fall in love during a total eclipse." Senex (Michael Hordern) in Something Funny Happened to Me on my Way to the Forum.

Or as it's known around these parts, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum!
Big Grin
I am away for a few days after tomorrow. If by the time I return on Sunday the remaining questions have not been answered I will supply the answers then.

Graham.

Quote:8." After nearly thirty years of marriage to Julia my approaching death holds few terrors for me."

Ok, I remembered. Had to be in the old/wise emperor category, and the only emperor I know of who was married to a Julia was Tiberius (although definitely not for 30 years, but oh well). That narrows it down to Ben Hur and The Robe, so I just checked with my old VHS copy: It is Tiberius in "The Robe".
Aka
Christoph
Quote:Quote:

Ok, I remembered. Had to be in the old/wise emperor category, and the only emperor I know of who was married to a Julia was Tiberius (although definitely not for 30 years, but oh well). That narrows it down to Ben Hur and The Robe, so I just checked with my old VHS copy: It is Tiberius in "The Robe".

Correct Christoph on both counts. Yes historically Julia should have been long gone!

Only a couple left folks Big Grin

Graham.

Quote:"....out of the patchwork of conquest, one world, out of one world, one nation, one people on earth living in peace."

Well, this one just sounds soooo FOTRE. Must be either Marcus Aurelius or Timonides. Just a guess, though.
Aka
Christoph
Quote:Quote:
"....out of the patchwork of conquest, one world, out of one world, one nation, one people on earth living in peace."

Well, this one just sounds soooo FOTRE. Must be either Marcus Aurelius or Timonides. Just a guess, though.

Sorry Christoph, wrong, try again.....

Graham.

OK

Here are the answers to those questions which caught some of you out.
Quote:

3. "....out of the patchwork of conquest, one world, out of one world, one nation, one people on earth living in peace."
Cleopatra / Elizabeth Taylor -Cleopatra

Messala / Stephen Boyd- Ben-Hur

Marcellus / Richard Burton-The Robe

Messala / Stephen Boyd - Ben- Hur

Demetrius / Victor Mature - Demetrius and the Gladiators.

Hope you all enjoyed it.

Graham.