Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilum Wrapping
Decimus, never use cotton.. way too expensive for soldiers!

If the only cord/string you can find is thick its AOK to unwind it! Hey, you'll end up with three times as much!

Another trick is to apply a layer of glue to the shaft and wrap it while the glue is still tacky!

My favorite technique is to use sinew with hide glue... especially for repairing a wood shaft tha tstarted to split from too much tossing!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Thanks Jerjenivs,

This is a pilum that was made in shop by the IXth Legion. Very sturdy! Very nice piece.

Hey Hib,

I think I will try to hunt down some more sinew....but on the flip side I was thinking just what you said as to unravel the 1/4in stuff. Smile
Decimus Apollonius
(Brian Camp)

Legio IX HISPANA
COHORS III EXPUGNATOR
Centuria I HIBERNICI
CON VIII AP

[Image: Brianssignature-1.jpg]

Legio IX Hispana Web Site:
[url:l69cdju8]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/[/url]
I just used regular jute twine for mine- starting the top end vertically (end facing down) with a small drop of glue, then twisting it 90 degrees and wrapping it around so the end is underneath. Then at the bottom I use a blunt awl (a nail or anything like that would work too) to force the end up under the wrapping- easy :wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Very Nice! I am going to try and hunt down something that size today. I do like the cleaner look to your wrapping. Thanks for posting the pic.
Decimus Apollonius
(Brian Camp)

Legio IX HISPANA
COHORS III EXPUGNATOR
Centuria I HIBERNICI
CON VIII AP

Sure thing- you ought to be able to find this stuff pretty much anywhere- Home Depot, Lowes, general hardware stores
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Yep. You can get it in jute, hemp, sisal or cotton in most any craft store.

NOT sisal.. it is a Mexican Agave cactus-based fibre IIRC. Flax-based string or similar would be more accurate for Romans, if you want to get picky! :wink:
Right you are, Peroni, and they also make another substance from agave root--Tequila! And its cousin, Mescal. Either one will knock your lights out as sure as a glans from a sling. Maybe a little more fun.

And you can mash the leaves to make soap.

I guess it might be hard to tell the difference between say, sisal and manila for most of us. But the craft shops around here usually have one or the other. Manila is what's most often used for common rope, hemp is a little rarer here, except for cord for necklaces, etc. It has, uh, other sorta quasi-medicinal purpose too, the leaves, that is.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:It has, uh, other sorta quasi-medicinal purpose too, the leaves, that is.

I'm sure I don't know WHAT you mean! :wink:
Quote:I'm sure I don't know WHAT you mean!
Me either. Of course not.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
HA! :lol: Well I found some smaller Jute to re-wrap. Will post pics of the new wrapping as sonn as I am finished. You guys have a lot of great ideas!
Decimus Apollonius
(Brian Camp)

Legio IX HISPANA
COHORS III EXPUGNATOR
Centuria I HIBERNICI
CON VIII AP

Quote:Well I found some smaller Jute to re-wrap.
The little ones don't give much trouble. If he does, though, you could also try an Angle or a Saxon.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:
Quote:Well I found some smaller Jute to re-wrap.
The little ones don't give much trouble. If he does, though, you could also try an Angle or a Saxon.
:lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
It's best to position the binding at the pilum's natural point of balance too.

Otherwise, when it's thrown, you'll be gripping it where there's no binding! :wink:
Or, if it's self harvested hemp, perhaps binding it where there's no grip...uh, never mind, what were we talking about?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I tried using hemp to wrap the cheapy-chuckers I make, but every time I used my torch to burn off the loose fibers I had to stop to order a pizza. The I would uuuunh... woooah...wwhat was I talkin' about???
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,362 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert