Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favourite Emperor?
I am a Trajan guy,he was one of the few who defeated the Parthians,even if the war was not resolved satisfactorily. Great commander and civil administrator-a winning combination! Big Grin
Jasson
Quote:Oh Jona...

Quote:Marcus Aurelius. His Meditations may be a bit tedious, but he's sympathetic. And he had a beautiful wife.

But she certainly slept around a bit Confusedhock:

Actually, secretly I'm a Germanicus fan, but don't tell anybody :oops:
I often wonder what history would be like if Germanicus hadn't died. Great choice. Big Grin
Jasson
Quote:Well, let me play the advocatus diaboli.
Sardaukar:2bb1yz5s Wrote:Titus Vespasianus. Short reign, but looked like a decent guy.
Note the cynical undertone of Suetonius' prologue: he condidered to be a good man "by nature, art, or good fortune". The anecdote in 9.1-2 is still shocking: offering two would-be murderers a sharp sword and saying that "danger threatened them both, but at some future time" - well, I think those guys never slept comfortably. As Brian Jones (no, not the guy you are thinking of) remarks in The Emperor Titus (1984): "The mask fell."
Quote:I think I would have to say Vespasion ... Indeed a very down to earth guy in his very last statement before he died, "Me think's I'm becoming a god".
Not his last words. Suetonius says that he suffered from an attack of diarrhoea, struggled to get on his feet, and died, saying "An emperor ought to die standing." It must have been a smelly affair, but I think these last words are even better than the well-known joke.

Maybe I should have said "decent Emperor" :wink: I am pretty sure Titus did lot of unsavoury things for example for his father when he was the commander of Pretorians. Kinda Emperor's henchman.
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
We seem to have many Germanicus fans here. I admit he has (in Roman terms) good war records and was beloved by his troops, but what do we know about a possible political conduct? Not to bash his supporters ;-) ) , but I ever felt he was kinda short-sighted at least as his conduct in Germany suggests to me. :?
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:We seem to have many Germanicus fans here. I admit he has (in Roman terms) good war records and was beloved by his troops, but what do we know about a possible political conduct? Not to bash his supporters ;-) ) , but I ever felt he was kinda short-sighted at least as his conduct in Germany suggests to me. :?

Well, we don't know anything about him as emperor because he was not. Caligula was liked by soldiers too.

At least Germanicus was competent commander..and that means a lot when considering support from legions.
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
Not including anyone past 476, I give the following:
Well, Trajan was quite possibly the greatest of the 'soldierly' sort, Augustus without a doubt the greatest politician, and Hadrian builder of infrastructure. Maybe I can pick all three? :lol:
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
Quote:At least Germanicus was competent commander..and that means a lot when considering support from legions.
I'm not really convinced. Giving in to the soldiers' demands during the rebellion of the Rhine legions was not exactly a display of leadership and the return from the Teutobrug Forest was a near-disaster. Personally, I think he allowed himself to be hijacked by his men - he promised them pay, gave them the war they wanted, and went to the Teutoburg Forest. Tiberius would have had none of it.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
it was my understanding that tiberius sent him, in fact tiberius himself would have done so had he not ended up being emperor at that time. he stopped the rebellon he punished those responcible for causing it ( officer who had been extorting and keeping monys from thier soldier and placing them in debt this was the main mony issue ) many officers and centurion were removed. he dealt with the situation justly i believe. he brought it together and made it a solid fighting force. i doubt that weather could be blamed on germanicus which lead to alot of the difficulties contributing to the problems and hardships faced by the legions. ( the weather and the forests ) germanicus did a job most would not have wanted to undertake and carried it off splendidly considering all he had to over come( terrain weather logistics intel finding the strongholds etc ). and then when germanicus was ready to complete his victory over germania tiberius called him back. possably because of him being suddenly thrust into being emperor which i dont think he truly wanted i think tiberius was always a military man a general at heart and the politics he never got used to the politics. in battle you fought the barbarian, he faced you and tried to kill you, in politics there was too much plotting and personal interests and you could end up with a pugio in the back.
as far as going after arminius if they didnt they would have had to continually deal with him for years to come, he had to be stopped before he could unite the tribes a pose a real and serious threat
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Quote:
Sardaukar:yjhgsj2j Wrote:At least Germanicus was competent commander..and that means a lot when considering support from legions.
I'm not really convinced. Giving in to the soldiers' demands during the rebellion of the Rhine legions was not exactly a display of leadership and the return from the Teutobrug Forest was a near-disaster. Personally, I think he allowed himself to be hijacked by his men - he promised them pay, gave them the war they wanted, and went to the Teutoburg Forest. Tiberius would have had none of it.

On the other hand, the soldiers' payment and conditions were quite bad at that time. There had been no adjustment to inflation for years, so it's not taht surprising that he gave in imho. Domitian later had to increase the salary by quite a bit and even that increase was not enough to fully cover the debasement of currency which had happened since Augustus.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Vespasian is mine 8) because he came from Italy :wink:
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
Quote:
Sardaukar:2a6o9b9s Wrote:At least Germanicus was competent commander..and that means a lot when considering support from legions.

Well we have only Tacitus as a reference for that. I do agree with you though Jona, Germanicus certainly seems to have given in pretty quickly as opposed to Drusus but, given the scale of the mutiny in Germanica, he may have had little choice :?

But, by the same token, we have primarily Tacitus again to thank for our knowledge of his acheivements...
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
FLAVIvS VESPASIANvS, son of T. FLAVIvS SABINvS for me....

Because he was down to earth and saved the empire after the murderous reign of LUCIvS DOMITIvS AHENOBARBvS.... the wretched snake (spitting on the floor)

In a way its funny had to think about Chroestjev just after Stalin....... Wink

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Trajanus is my favourite because I think he was a really, really good general.
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Constantine the Great because he was a great chancer :wink:

Count Theo/Darren
Salvete fraters,
my best emperor is M. Ulpivs Traianvs, because he was really good general and a great man :-) ) I am also a great fan of Emperor Augustus, Vespasianus, Titus, Nerva, Hadrianus and M. Aurelius - they were also great emperors of Rome.

Excuse my English, I am begginer...
Radka Hlavacova A.K.A Titvs Iventivs Martivs
Tesserarivs Legio IIII FF
Castra Romana, Czech republic
"Concordia militvm"