Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question
Pompeius:<br>
The title of the mystery series is SPQR. It's up to 11 volumes in Germany now and they're best-sellers. Go to any paperback rack anywhere in Germany and you'll probably see some of them. <p></p><i></i>
any planning for expansion to america, or are there any english translations. <p></p><i></i>
Volumes I through VIII have been published here by St. Martin's press and are readily available. The rest will be out eventually. I write them in English. For various reasons, my German publishers are way ahead of my American publisher. <p></p><i></i>
thats nice to know, after I finish the colleen mccullough series, on book 5 of 6 extremly good books if you don't mind historical fiction, i will definetly check them out. <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Who are the Dutch & how did they get there ? Excuse me as I have been educated in England<hr><br>
<br>
Ever heard of the Anglo-Saxons? Most of them came from these parts, now called The Netherlands.. maybe you should re-phrase the question:<br>
Who are the English & how did they get there ?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
at least your countries can identify with one form of people. We are a mixture of too many different people. <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Ah yes, the raid on Chatham (or 'The Medway Raid'), 1667, Michiel de Ruyter captured the flagship Royal Charles, burnt a load of ships and generally gave the English the runs<hr><br>
<br>
the rear of this ship can still be seen in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam! The Dutch marines were also invented for this raid. <p>Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the ark<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Ah .... those bloody Saxons again No wonder the Dutch & the English were so pally!!??<br>
<br>
Now I kno wwht my graany was not so fond of King Billy<br>
<br>
I 'm off top Amsterdam next month so will visit that ship.<br>
<br>
Conal <p></p><i></i>
Have you already changed your mind about clogs, Robert?<br>
<br>
Pijus Magnificus <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Avete Omnes, dear fellow-Romans,<br>
<br>
<br>
John,<br>
<br>
You asked, why there are so many Dutch and few Germans? I think the quantity difference may be not so great. Our Dutch friends in the forum belong to the most busy RAT’ers. I could not identify so much – in the moment I only remember: Vorti Valerius Vermaat alias Robert (look at the number of his posts!), Jasper (dito, also he is a member of the RAT staff), the lost Sander, Pelgrm003/Jeroen, Chariovalda, Jurjenius … my apologies to those I forgot. As I said, they are not so very much, but they are a very refreshing and animating element to the forum and so seem to be more … <br>
<br>
Another difficulty is how to find out where we all are coming from. There are really some Germans here that I could recognize. But may be there are more. The problem is, that so many of us (from all of us, not only the Germans) are hiding behind their Roman Alias names and don’t risk to show their origin in their personal profile. Okay, First Name, Last Name, Age (!!), profession (perhaps some don’t want to be recognized by their boss!) may be a problem and so should remain private – but the location? Your countries are so large … <br>
<br>
I don’t want to criticize this but only explain; everybody may have his own way to take part in the community, there is no ‘must’ and that is good as it is. <br>
<br>
<br>
Jasper,<br>
<br>
whom did You mean with von D.? Von Däniken?<br>
<br>
<br>
Pompeius,<br>
<br>
Your question is much more difficult to answer – why are the Germans not particularly proud to be German? That is indeed a serious problem and disturbs the good atmosphere in this topic, so I want to give my - subjective - answer in a far too short statement; I am no professional historian and other may have complexer answers. <br>
<br>
I agree with You, it has surely to do with the last century. Germany has lost both great wars and in WWII happened so much ugly things. In the years after it every tendency to national pride or militarism was wiped out in the official life and replaced by a stable Democracy and political correctness, pupils were educated in this since and Germany became one of the most pacific and democratic countries – side by side with its neighbours. But indeed, many Germans think that their neighbors in the once occupied countries are still full of resentments against them and so it is tabooed and political not correct to say ‘I am proud to be a German’.<br>
<br>
Till now, I did not have this impression here in RAT, I think we are all more feeling as descendants of a nation whose army held all these areas together – Rome; at least we have the same interest or hobby, whether as Re-anactor, book author, archaeologist or model soldier collector (that is what I am proud to be, a member of this forum).<br>
<br>
Nevertheless, congratulation to Your quarter German descendance, Pompeius, no reason to be over-proud, no reason to be ashamed, Your feelings are o.k.<br>
<br>
<br>
Dutch / German,<br>
<br>
I am not so sure, but didn’t the Batavians be a Germanic tribe? Another point: in my mother language we don’t say ‘German’ but ‘Deutsch’, and that remains me strong to ‘Dutch’; I am living on the lower Rhine Area and as I am afraid (for You), my dear fellow-Romans from the Netherlands, the personal differences are not so great. <br>
<br>
Uwe<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uwebahr>Uwe Bahr</A> at: 5/25/04 8:15 pm<br></i>
Greets - Uwe
My nature of the question was not saying that you have a reason to be ashamed as other countries have had done audacious things in their history as well, lets take the american model, sorry but its how I can relate to this problem, the business with the native americans is just disgusting to think about. They were forced to move from territory to territory until they were placed in their current positions in reservastions throughout the southwest and west. Since I am a small portion native american, I know I am a lot of different things, there is still a chief in New York City bearing my last name, which happens to be of german origins, i find it particularly bad. Another thing that happened in our more recent history is the throwing in camps of the Japanesse Americans for no other reason than the island nation of Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. Every nation has had moments of such aggression. I think it is time to stop on America before I get too involved and go into politics, if you want to talk further on this issue please feel free to email me. [email protected] <p></p><i></i>
Pompeius,<br>
<br>
don't worry, I didn't misunderstand You in the way You were afraid - as I said, Your feelings are o.k. Thank You for Your invitation.<br>
<br>
Uwe <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
How do you tell the "coffee" shops from the coffee shops ?<br>
<br>
Conal <p></p><i></i>
Now I am not from the netherlands but the coffee shops to get high in are called coffee shops and I think that to get coffee like starbucks are called cafe shops or something like that. <p></p><i></i>
- Von D. = Von Domaszewski, of Rangordnung (=hierarchy). If you want to read something thoroughly academic, find this one.<br>
<br>
- Batavians were originally prolly part of the elite of the Ubii (IIRC) who lived along the Rhine. Tribal conflict and this part went to live a bit further up the Rhine.<br>
<br>
- Dutch, well, yes, the relation with Deutsch, is obvious. Dutch is most certainly related to German, the latter being Hochdeutsch and Dutch Niederdeutsch, or Diets. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine