Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Battle of Chalons - Location
I will take some photo's in a few weeks when I am in the area.

Might get a better insight then....I am just waiting on a meeting confirmation from PSA

Smile
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
Cool, I'll try an upload some of the documents now.

EDIT It wont let me upload 2 of them

Attached Files
.pdf   ChronicleofHydatius.pdf (Size: 70.32 KB / Downloads: 1)
.pdf   ChronicleofZaragoza.pdf (Size: 5.8 KB / Downloads: 1)
Worked just fine Evan, thanks.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Here's the other 2

They won't upload for some reason, I don't know why they're both PDF files.

Is there a filesize limit on PDFs?
New things:

Vegetius mentions each soldier needed (either 3 or 6 feet) or frontage to fight properly.

This means that for 2 armies of 60000 men to operate effectively, you'd need about a 15-20km by 15-20km space for both armies.

It's likely that Aetius or the goths were on the hill, and then everyone else operated on the plain below.
Quote:Vegetius mentions each soldier needed (either 3 or 6 feet) or frontage to fight properly.
This means that for 2 armies of 60000 men to operate effectively, you'd need about a 15-20km by 15-20km space for both armies.
How do you figure that? How deep are your lines?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I really don't know, cause we don't know much about the armies at Chalons.

Most of that space I proposed allotted for tactical maneuvers of the armies; namely horsemen which the huns predominately used.

You can fit 60000 people into the coliseum if i'm correct, but that's a lot of people in a small space. So if it was a mobile battle probably what I said (about 15x15), but considering it's just running uphill over and over and over it probably wouldn'y have taken more than about a 5 km x 5 km space.
I was wondering how long you thought the front of the armies were.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I was wondering how long you thought the front of the armies were.

Lol yeah, I think I put 60 instead of 6 in my equation

Well, Aetius and the others would have had reserves, and what's a Century, like 10x8 men? There would have been about 10000 romans/bucellarii, 10000 visigoths, and 10000 others at the battle on the Roman side. Most probably each group wouldn't have commited more than a thousand to the front at any given time. So that implies a depth of about 10 ranks, and reduces the size of the battle signifigantly in reality.

This wouldn't have taken much more than 5 kilos accross, and like 2-3 kilos deep.
Quote:I will take some photo's in a few weeks when I am in the area.

Might get a better insight then....I am just waiting on a meeting confirmation from PSA

Smile

What's the news on that?
Hey guys, I found a ridge in a much more suitable location for the battle, it's about 2 kilos west of Pouan, which places it inbetween the Treasure and Robert's Plumba Dart. IT's much closer to the river Aube too. Will upload images later.

This ridge is smaller, but more steep.
I'm a little off on Robert's Plumbata, but besides that it is a better possibility than Arcis-sur-Aube.

I'd rather not go to Arcis anyways, chances are that your metal detector isn't finding a shield boss, but that metal object you just hit with your shovel is a cannonball fromt he napoleonic wars...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote: I'm a little off on Robert's Plumbata, but besides that it is a better possibility than Arcis-sur-Aube.
Waht's the scale of this image? How many kilometers between the plumbata :grin: and the ridge?

Quote:I'd rather not go to Arcis anyways, chances are that your metal detector isn't finding a shield boss, but that metal object you just hit with your shovel is a cannonball fromt he napoleonic wars...
Or any other conflict waged around here..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote: Waht's the scale of this image? How many kilometers between the plumbata :grin: and the ridge?
It's a little less half a kilo off of your mark, yours is further south. The scale is approximately 1/4 an inch to a kilo.

Checked it out in google street view, it seems that the area is a citrus farm now, but it looks like it used to be a field.

Quote:Or any other conflict waged around here..

Chalons Sur MArne in the First World War, and Chalons in 274, not really a lot tbh that's recorded.
So I did some more searching on Google Earth, and found that my original locations were way to shallow to be worth anything, with the change in elevation being around 5 feet. However, in 2 locations there is a significant change in Elevation - One being under a wearhouse in Arci-Sur-Aube, so out of the question, and the other being about 0.38 Kilometers away from Robert's Plumbata find.

The Red Border Demarcates the shape of the ridge. Ridge A, near Robert's Plumbata, is rougly 0.26 Kilometers in Length and is 29 feet high, or about 9 meters. IT is very steep with an incline of about 35-40 Degrees.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Location of Caesar's decisive battle against Cassivellaunus tikeshe 2 1,516 01-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Last Post: tikeshe
  Another thread about Chalons Flavivs Aetivs 11 2,917 05-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Who really \"won\" the Battle of Chalons? Flavivs Aetivs 27 5,452 05-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs